How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Andrea, Esq. Your Own Question
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 12554
Experience:  25 yrs. of experience in employment law, real estate and business law, family law, criminal defense and immigration.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Andrea, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

For Andrea... I am having a problem with someone who sold

This answer was rated:

For Andrea...

I am having a problem with someone who sold me something and did not provide what was expected under the contract (i.e., it is missing an important legal document of ownership).

I would likely lose money if I return the item because I have invested a lot of money in it after buying it. I have been advised that it is unlikely that I can get the seller to refund the additional expenses because he is not legally responsible to do so (and has also been apathetic and unresponsive to me).

I am now trying to track down the corresponding legal document myself to see if I could get it signed over to me. I called the original financing company for help (in whose name the original document was). I was told by them that they have no further interest in the item and that they are unable to help me obtain the document.

They suggested that the best thing to do is to see if the original owner will grant me a power of attorney so that I can request the paper myself from the DMV. I have a name and address for that person so I greatly hope that I can get in touch with her and that she will help me.

How does a power of attorney work? I assume it is a document that I would need to get signed by her and notarized? Is a power of attorney something that is granted for one particular legal activity, such as obtaining a specific document? Where do I get one? Must I go through a lawyer or is there a power of attorney form that I can obtain somewhere, like online?

Lastly, if I do get the document through the power of attorney... will it automatically belong to me (even without it being signed over) because I have a power of attorney to go with it?

Thank you!


Hi, Maureen, and Welcome back to JustAnswer, Thank you for requesting me,

A Power of Attorney sounds like a good idea, if you can get the former owner to sign it. You have to keep in mind that you will be dealing with a perfect stranger; she does not know you and does not know the problems you have encountered with the title. If the dealer bought the vehicle at auction, this probably means that the vehicle was repossessed. Under those circumstances, I would wonder if the former owner will be receptive to helping you out. It might be worth a try, but I would keep after the dealer because he is the one with the direct contact to the auction company which started the whole problem.





Please be kind enough to rate "Excellent Service" so that I receive credit

for assisting you,



Bonus and Positive Feedback on survey is very much appreciated,





Andrea, Esq. and 3 other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you