Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of private practice
9968427

If a cc debt is 15 years old. No payments or contact, how come

If a cc debt is 15 years old. No payments or contact, how come I am getting letters from a collection agency now?
*Due to rules of your state bar or mine, nothing herein is intended as legal advice, only intended as general information to better help yourself.*

Welcome,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

I agree that you appear to have a statute of limitations defense to payment of the debt.

The statute of limitations is a law that restricts the period of time that an action may be enforced by the court. If the time has expired, we say that the statute of limitations has run and action is time-barred by the statute of limitations.

However the fact that the statute of limitations has run does not mean that the collection agency cannot attempt to collect the debt. Many people do not know of the statute of limitations defense and voluntarily make payment to collection companies – thereby restarting the statute of limitations

Therefor in your situation, it appears that the statute of limitations has run and any court action is time-barred by the statute of limitations

I would be glad to respond to any related follow-up questions that you may have.