Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

I had a COIT carpet cleaner come to my home to see if I wanted

their cleaning services. I showed him...
I had a COIT carpet cleaner come to my home to see if I wanted their cleaning services.
I showed him areas of carpet that I wanted cleaned. He said he would have to clean full rooms or the job would be uneven - meaning that the trouble areas would be cleaner than the rest.
I went ahead with the cleaning. Two days later - the carpet looked like it did before the job. I called and they sent out another guy to redo the job. He said the spots in question were "wear" and could not be cleaned. I said - don't do it then.
When I called to ask for a refund I was told by two customer service reps that my only recourse was to have it cleaned again. AND - that wear spots could not become clean.
Yes - an oxymoron. But, they repeated this script over and over.
I want my money back. Can I get a letter from an attorney?
5/21/2013
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation.

Unfortunately, this service is limited to lawyers providing general answers to customers' legal questions.

We cannot provide any legal advice or any type of legal services, such as writing a letter for a customer.

With that said, can you please let me know if you have a legal question that I can answer for you or if you would like some sources to find local attorney who can help you with the letter?

Thanks.
can you review my situation as to wheather it has any legal merit
that is to get a refund
Thank you for your follow up.

Can you please tell me if you had a written contract with this carpet cleaning company?

What is the amount that you paid for the cleaning?

How did you pay for this cleaning, I.E. credit card, cash, check?
I paid $296 by credit card I signed after the j signed their invoice. The technicXXXXX XXXXXd wrote on the bottom "no guarantee on stains and wear". However, he did not alert me to the wear spots and advise me that they couldn't be cleaned - as did the second guy who came out. On the back of the invoice they statethat if one is not satisfied they will reclean, and that if you are still not satisfied they will refund money paid. I told them it would be futile to reclean by their own admission. But, maybe that is what I should do - then ask for the refund. They basically told me verbally that they never refund.
Thank you for your follow up.

Basically, since the invoice does state that if the customer is not satisfied that they will issue a refund, there would be generally be two option that can be pursued to obtain a refund.

1) You can contact your credit card company and dispute the charge based on the face that the promised service that you contracted for was not delivered in a satisfactory manner and your credit card company will investigate your dispute and will make determination whether to issue a refund. It would help for you to take photos of the areas that were not properly clean in order to help you prove your claim.

2) If the dispute with the credit card company is not decided in your favor, you can also file a lawsuit in the local small claims court and also you can file a formal complaint against this company with California Division of Consumer Affairs and the local Better Business Bureau.

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law