Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

i bought a used car from a dealer in pensacola fl. and did

not know it leaked oil...
i bought a used car from a dealer in pensacola fl. and did not know it leaked oil in several places and burns oil out the tailpipe.. do i have any rights
5/9/2013
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide you excellent service.

Before we begin, a bit more detail would be helpful.

Did you receive any sort of written warranty or was the car purchased AS-IS?

Thank you.

JudgeLaw

as is

Thank you for the additional information.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma.   I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Unfortunately, when you purchase a vehicle as-is your options are very limited with regard to any defects in the vehicle. That is the reason many people have a car examined by their own mechanic before purchasing it as is. The obligation of a seller to make repairs after an as-is sale is non existent.

If you believe that the dealer defrauded you can make a complaint to the Florida Attorney General. Sometimes that can motivate the dealer into working with you. Otherwise, i am sorry to say, the dealer has no legal obligation to repair the vehicle, take the car back or otherwise rescind the transaction.

I am sorry. I realize this is not the answer you were hoping for. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I ask that you not penalize me for having to deliver less than favorable news.

It has been my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further assistance.  I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you.  I am here for you.

Please remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested.

If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will happily answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to your situation, so please do not penalize me for having to deliver bad news.

Thank you.

JudgeLaw
Loren, Lawyer
Loren, Lawyer