How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 118772
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need help writing a dispute letter to an insurance company.

This answer was rated:

I need help writing a dispute letter to an insurance company. My car was involved in an accident and I was not the driver. My daughter friend and son took my car without permission and hit another vehicle. It was their fault and my car was not insured. The other cars insurance company sent me a letter $4600 and I have 30 days to dispute
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Well, I am sorry to hear this has happened as you are in a pretty tough situation legally. Without insurance in AZ and at fault in the accident if you are sued by them they will recover this amount plus attorney's fees.

In your dispute letter, really all you can do is dispute the amount of the damages, since you said it was your daughter's friend and son's fault. In order to do so, you need to go to at least 2 or 3 local body shops and try to get them to give you an estimate based on either photographs or other documentation you have regarding the damage to the other vehicle. In your letter you would need to use those estimates to argue that the amount they are charging is excessive and you need to make a counter offer for settlement for a lower amount.

I am sorry to say this is really the only thing you can do here based on the facts you provided being so much against you (other than sue the person who took your car without permission and was driving it). The only other thing you can do in your letter is try to argue how their driver is at least partially at fault and if you were to go to court to litigate this both you and the insurer would incur legal costs and in the interest of fairness you would offer settlement of $2300 (which is 1/2 of the amount they claim you owe). Other than engaging in this type of negotiation, your facts you have been dealt really hurt you badly here.

We cannot actually write the letter, we do not know sufficient facts and details and it would also be considered the practice of law which is forbidden by the rules of this site. However, if you follow the guidelines above that should get you going in the right direction.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you