How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 31782
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My lawyer didnt make sure my car loans were re-affirmed and

This answer was rated:

My lawyer didnt make sure my car loans were re-affirmed and my case was discharged and i didnt find out after that one of the finance company didnt receive the paperwork with my signature ever !
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Bankruptcy litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.

A reaffirmation is generally not required for you to keep your vehicle. As long as you continue to make your payments, most lenders will allow you to keep the vehicle. This is so because lenders don't want the car back, they want the money, and if they try to repossess the vehicle you'll stop making any payments and they'll be left with the vehicle. Thus, this should not affect your ability to keep the vehicle.

However, without a reaffirmation, none of your payments are reported to the credit bureaus and your loan looks like it is in default and possibly even charged off - - when it really isn't.

The only way to get a reaffirmation put in place would be to re-open the bankruptcy, but it may not be necessary if the creditor isn't seeking the vehicle back.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What about the lawyer who made the mistakes ?
I am so mad about it , i reaffirmed and he didnt see it thru
What actions can i take agaist the lawyer ?
You can sue the attorney for legal malpractice/negligence for the failure to get this done. Hopefully, you have some type of evidence or written proof that the attorney agreed to do this for you and failed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you Kirk , I do have proof
Ok. In that case, you can file a lawsuit for malpractice/negligence and you also can file a bar complaint against him with the California Bar Assn. Here's a link to how to do this:
Roger and other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you