Dylatess
Dylatess, Lawyer
Experience:  36 plus years consumer law practice
29685164

HAVE BEEN PAYING RENT ON THE 20TH OF EACH MONTH (AS AGREED)

HAVE BEEN PAYING RENT ON THE 20TH OF EACH MONTH (AS AGREED) FOR THE LAST THREE YEARS. NOW THAT I HAVE MOVED OUT, LANDLORD SAYS I OWE $775 FOR THE ENTIRE MONTH OF FEBRUARY STARTING ON THE FIRST. SHE HAS BEEN PAID $775 AS OF JANUARY 20 THRU FEBRUARY 20TH. SINCE I MOVED OUT ON THE 23RD. I PAID AN ADDITIONAL $96.42 TO COVER THE THREE DAYS. SHE HAS TORMENTED ME, THREATENED AND HARASSED ME TO MOVED OUT SOONER THAN I GAVE NOTICE FOR WHICH WAS TO BE THE 28TH. I GET DAILY HARASSING EMAILS, THREATENING TO TAKE ME TO COLLECTION AND SUE ME IN SMALL CLAIMS COURT. WHAT ARE MY LEGAL RIGHTS AND CAN I GET A COURT ORDER TO STOP HER FROM SENDING THESE THREATS?

I'M A 70 YEAR OLD WIDOW...I JUST LOST MY HUSBAND. I DO NOT NEED THIS...CAN YOU HELP. I LIVE IN OREGON
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. For over 32 years, I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.

So sorry to hear about the loss of your husband.
Note, your rental agreement holds the answer to your question. As such, the agreement states how much notice you are to give which is typically 30 days. And if you did not give 30 days notice, you would owe for that entire month even though you moved out. Accordingly, I would call the landlord and see if you can negotiate a lesser amount so as to avoid her suing you which will only cause you more heart ache. And unfortunately, she will succeed if she does sue. So it is best to minimize your losses now. Thanks for understanding.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I gave her 30 days notice...she wanted me out sooner. said she had rented the place. which was not true. but moved out so she could have (bogas) tenant move in. This is not about notice to vacate in 30 days...this is about the rent covering a time period of 1/20/13 to 2/20/13 with additional monies to cover the extra 3 days.

according to what you say she is due 5 more days rent at a 30 day prorate based on $775.00 ?

Without seeing your actual rental agreement and the writen notice that you provided to her, it is difficult to comment other than to give you general advice.