How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 118255
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

It has been a year since I asked this question about my cello

This answer was rated:

It has been a year since I asked this question about my cello and bows. I consulted an attorney who wrote a letter to this dealer, which the dealer ignored. The police refuse to help. I filed a complaint with the attorney general. I placed a mechanics lien on his property and notified him of this by registered mail. I hired private investigators to go talk to him ($1000) and he admitted he no longer has my property and that he does owe me the amount in question. He also phoned and emailed and promised to pay me by December of 2012. That date came and went, and still no response from him. I have consulted attorneys and they all want retainers of at least $5000 just to get started, and are not optimistic. Collection agencies want 50% of the amount due. I just don't know what to do anymore and am extremely angry. Right now I just want to post my complaints everywhere on the internet. It has been almost 7 years since I signed a contract with this dealer and left my property, valued at more than $27,000, with this person. The lien will expire next December unless I obtain a judgement against him, but I am not sure how to do that without an attorney.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
no answer yet
I am afraid that because of the amount of money owed, you would be filing a unlimited civil complaint (over $25,000) in the CA superior court. If you cannot find an attorney willing to file suit on a contingency basis for about 33%-40% of the amount they collect from him or get in judgment against him or are not willing to pay this to an attorney, then you can file the suit against him yourself and you can get the form to file an unlimited civil suit either from your superior court self help desk or at CA Court Forms. You would have to file a complaint and you have to serve the party with a copy of that complaint and summons through a process server to begin your suit. The filing of the suit stops the statute of limitations, which is generally 4 years in CA for breach of contract and 3 years for property damage, but if you have written confirmation from him that he owes you then the statute of limitations is extended from that date (December 2012) when he promised to pay.

I am afraid that filing suit yourself pro se would be the only option if you cannot find an attorney you can afford or willing to work on contingency. If you do plan on going pro se, you must get yourself a copy of both the CA rules of civil procedure and the CA rules of evidence, as you will be held to follow them as would any licensed attorney.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted or the law does not help your situation, PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm sorry....I thought you could view my first question written almost a year ago which had more details. I am in California but the dealer is in Connecticut where I used to live. The total value of my property is $27,000 but according to the consignment agreement, the dealer owes me around $22,000. I do like your idea of trying to find a lawyer willing to take the case on a contingency basis though. Do I just start calling every lawyer in that area? Let me know if this new information changes your advice in any way.

I would still suggest filing the unlimited suit, even though it is only $22,000, because with your damages and fees and money you have spent to date you can easily exceed the $25,000 limited civil action limits.

You would look for a civil litigation and/or consumer protection law attorney in that area at the same sites used by other attorneys, or or as these sites verify the attorneys on the site and they are reviewed and rated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

With interest, and fees, I am sure we are above the 25K limit. Is this distinction the same in CT as in CA? Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX advice. We will definitely follow up on this.

I thought you said you were in CA, did I miss that you are suing in CT? CT does not make the distinction and the suit is simply filed in the Superior Court and you simply file your complaint with your allegations regardless of the amount. CA has the distinction between a limited and unlimited civil action.
Law Educator, Esq. and other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the good advice!

Thank you.