How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dylatess Your Own Question
Dylatess, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 5156
Experience:  36 plus years consumer law practice
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I invested in a band an wanted 2 have a memorial concert in

This answer was rated:

I invested in a band an wanted 2 have a memorial concert in my wife honer paid out almost 60,000 to this band member 2 pay bands. concert never went on have a contract that is a couple years old. he is not paying me back and i been told you cant sue if they have nothing. I understand not getting it all up front but he could be making payments. I have emails and signed contracts.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. For over 32 years, I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you. What a nice gesture for your wife. So sorry the concert never happened.
Note, under Maryland law, you have four years from the date of the writen contract or the date the concert was to take place, or the date of last payment received, which ever is longer. So you may be ok in suing. But like you said, the real problem is ever collecting. but if you do not collect, if you at least have a court judgement, you can use that loss against your taxes that you may owe to the IRS as a 100 perent write off. Accordingly, I would meet with a consumer attorney who may want to take the case on a contingency. If he does not, he may still assist you in suing. And once you have the judgement, give it to your accountant for your 2013 tax returns.

If I have answered your question, please rate my answer as ok or better so that I am compensated. Thanks.
Dylatess and other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you