How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttorneyTom Your Own Question
AttorneyTom, Attorney
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 9176
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
AttorneyTom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my wife had a car accident. she is ok. but the insurance co.

Resolved Question:

my wife had a car accident. she is ok. but the insurance co. of the man that hit her wants us to pay 10% of the damage. she was not at fault per the police report. What can we do?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the opportunity to answer your question. I am sending this answer to you only a few minutes after you submitted your question.
I'm sorry to hear about your wife's accident but I am glad she is alright. She still may want to get a proper medical evaluation, as some injuries (such as spinal injuries) may not display symptoms for an extended period and those injuries are best detected at teh time of the accident to ensure compensation and adequate treatment. Insurance settlement offers are generally negotiable and the insurance company may be willing to negotiate the value. Of course, insurance companies are in business to make money, and that often means paying out as little as possible whenever they can. If you find the company unresponsive or if you feel it's negotiating in bad faith, you can file a complaint with the Georgia Department of Insurance. The Department can then investigate the matter and it may be able to facilitate a better negotiating relationship. If that does not resolve things, you can file a lawsuit to recover the full value of the damages along with court costs and attorney's fees.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
do we not accept any work from the insurance co. or let them fix car and then go to court?
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 5 years ago.
It's generally important to settle only for the full amount that you intend to receive. Before paying or providing anything, the company will want to settle the matter and, once settled for one amount, it isn't possible to go back and ask for more.
AttorneyTom and 4 other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you