Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Experience:  18+ years of NYS litigation experience.
18321761

I WAS SENT A LETTER FROM MY CONSUMER SERVICES REGARDING A MORTGAGE

I WAS SENT A LETTER FROM MY CONSUMER SERVICES REGARDING A MORTGAGE AUDIT FOR MY MORTGAGE THE COMPANY NEEDS 300.00 FOR SERVICES .IAM WORRIED ABOUT TRUSTING THE COMPANY WHAT SHOULD I DO.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 5 years ago.
Hi Jacustomer,

Your instincts are very good. Because of the vast amount of scamming in the area of mortgage modification and foreclosure prevention, the Federal Trade Commission has made it unlawful for anyone to charge an up front fee for a mortgage modification.. Mortgage auditors get around that because they say you are not paying for modification, but for the audit. But it's very misleading and sometimes downright fraudulent.

The FTC warn against such companies here and tell you how to test their legitimacy before you sign on with one and get hurt.

If you want to use the reply box below to give me the name of the company that contacted you, I could see if we have a record of it or can find anything more about it for you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
MY CONSUMER SERVICES.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 5 years ago.
Hi Dwayne,

LOL. I saw that but I thought you were telling me that you were contacted by your comsumer services rather than by a business named My Consumer Service. My caffeine must be wearing off or something.

If you are talking about My Consumer Home Services (http://www.myconsumerservices.com) in South Jordan, Utah, it is a likely scam. Their website registration information indicates that the business has only been on the web since March 21st. So it's a little more than 2 months old. Generally when it comes to unsolicited calls, emails and phone calls, the younger the business, the greater the chance of fraud. In an industry where fraud is rampant, you want a track record of success, and not some canned testimonials on a 2-month old website.

My Consumer Services is unknown to the BBB. It is also not on the Utah Secretary of State's corporate registry where a legitimate company doing business in Utah would be listed.

So really, there just doesn't seem to be any reason to go further. There's nothing out there about them. Nothing at all. And nothing is likely what you would get out of any contract with them.

I would avoid them.