How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 33752
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I rented a credit card machine from CreditCardMachineRentals

Resolved Question:

I rented a credit card machine from CreditCardMachineRentals for a weekend garage sale.
I returned the machine, wrapped in the original packing, on 4/4/2012. I was reviewing
my credit card statement on line and I noticed a charge for $885 from CCMR on 4/10. When I called CCMR they sent me an email dated 4/13 detailing the charges. $175 for late charges- 12 hours late. Repair costs for a scratched screen of $400 (I was the only person to use,the machine and we used it for a total of 7 transactions and I did not see a scratch). $350 for down time for the machine in the repair department. AND a packing fine of $100 because even though I used the original packing material I added two plastic bags to wedge it in the box. I called Capital One and he called CCMR to see if he could work out a deal. Capital One looked up the cost of the machine on line at Staples and it sells new for $550. When he tried to talk with the CCMR rep he said that I signed a contract (I did) and that Capital One can not set what CCMR charges.
Is there anything I can do.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 years ago.
Your only option is to sue them. The court can make a determination as to what, if anything, is reasonable.

Since it is a small amount you can sue them in small claims court without a lawyer. There is a good chance they won't bother answering and then you can get a default judgment.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Dwayne B. and other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you