Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Okay so I am a developer and I create games for iOS devices…

Okay so I am a...
Okay so I am a developer and I create games for iOS devices such as iPhone & iPad. I published on of my games back in August and now there is a guy who copied my game with the same graphics. He only changed the title and the icon. All the in game graphics are the same. And most certainly he made a lot of money from my game. Now my question is what can I do to make my lost money back?
3/12/2012
DCrane Law
DCrane Law, Lawyer
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. Are you opposed to filing suit against him for copyright infringement? If not, this would be your most effective remedy should the other programmer refuse to compensate you of his own volition (i.e. you send a demand letter demanding payment and he refuses to comply). Please let me know if you need additional guidance.
I want to fill a suit against him for copyright infringement.
And no he doesn't want to compensate me.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX know where the would be defendant is located? If so, you would retain IP infringement counsel in that area to first send him a demand letter for payment, threatening suit, explaining that if payment is not received by a specified date you will have no choice but to file suit along with an injunction preventing future sales of the game(s).

Please let me know if you need additional guidance.
Apple hasn't gave me any of his information. By the way he has uploaded my game 3 times with different names. I think he made more than $5000 if not $10000. Does it worth it going all that hustle and if yes what will be the right amount of money I should get?
Yes, I do think it is worth the effort, and you would claim as damages the revenue from all sales, plus punitive damages.
Here is the games:
Copy#1: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lost-ville/id505800557?mt=8
Copy#2: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-lost-house/id500551662?mt=8
Copy#3: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/secret-mystery/id500769198?mt=8

And here is my game:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-secret-of-fathers-simons/id451302111?mt=8

And what are my chances of winning this?
It is likely you would prevail.
Could you please give me a step to step like what I should send to Apple, to that guy and everything for that matter?
Apple would not be required to disclose anything until it receives a subpoena from the court requiring it to do so. Your question is very broad, but to answer it generally you would need to file a John Doe complaint, the subpoena the name of the developer from Apple via that suit, amend your complaint to name the person, and proceed with your claim. you really should strongly consider retaining counsel however.
DCrane Law
DCrane Law, Lawyer
My first step to all this is to go to my court and sue a John Doe?
Yes, assuming you have already requested the information you seek from Apple to no avail.
Dear Arsen,

Thanks for your message. We have contacted the developer(s) of the applications listed below. In the meantime, if you have any questions please contact [email protected] and please include APP18604 in the subject line.

Developer: Top Best Adult Entertainment
Provider: Nenad Radibratovic
App Title: Lost Ville
Apple ID: XXXXXXXXX br/>-

Developer: Top Best Adult Entertainment
Provider: Nenad Radibratovic
App Title: Secret Mystery
Apple ID: XXXXXXXXX br/>-

Sincerely,

Jenny

That's what they emailed me... But I don't know if his name is right
ok. perhaps you should try sending a letter via return receipt requested address service requested to verify accuracy.