Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Shoplifting some thing you put a other tag on a item pay .75…

Customer Question
Shoplifting some thing you put...
Shoplifting some thing you put a other tag on a item pay .75 and the item was $1.68 but had no tag on it is that stealing if I pay the .75 cent and the keep my money and item
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/11/2012
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Dwayne B., Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
If you switch tags on an item to get a lower price then it is the same as shoplifting or theft.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
How money dose have to be for a misdemeanor
If it is $500 then it automatically becomes a felony. There are certain items which, if stolen, automatically make it a felony. You can read the statute at http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C500-599/5700000030.HTM

So a item that a 1.68 is fine or misdemeanor
Misdemeanor.

Even if pay .75 of it
Yes, even if you pay 75 cents of it.

So can give me probtion for this if its my frist time
Yes, it is very likely you would get probation.

Even with a lawyer they can give me probation for .75 that some be a fine
A lawyer may be able to get it reduced down to a different charge but as long as it is a theft charge it is going to be a misdemeanor. The DA may allow you to just pay a fine instead, but they aren't required to do so.

They put down stealing and it didnt n't have a ce tag the item it was
By the items that said .75
It doesn't matter what the price was. If you changed the price tag then it is theft.

The item didn't have a price tag on to change so I didnt change the price just put the tag on feom the item next it because it was on a clearence section
You have an argument that you didn't commit a crime then, but the charge doesn't change it just means you have a defense.

why they didn't stop mebefore I paid for it they let mte pay for it
I have no idea why they didn't stop you.

At this point I am going to have to ask you to hit the ACCEPT button. I don't mind answering follow ups but the website requires an occasional ACCEPT.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
They should have stop me first rigth if iam stealing
I need you to hit ACCEPT for us to continue discussing this.
They should have stop me if I was stealing
Thanks for the ACCEPT.

I agree, and that is another defense that you have. If they knew at the time it was the wrong amount they could certainly have told you that. Hopefully they will have video of you picking the item up from near the bin marked 75 cents.