Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My fiancé is being sued for a medical bill from 2006. At the…

My fiancé is being sued...
My fiancé is being sued for a medical bill from 2006. At the time he was fully covered by his insurance. He was in the for an asthma attack, which his insurance covered before. He has great benefits as an officer. We spoke to someone from pressler & , who is the CA, and a rep from the insurance company and the rep advised the attorney to resubmit the bill along with some other documents. The attorney has not don so yet and it's been over a month. He claims he can't get in contact with his client, which is someone from the hospital. Do u think in this case pressler is acting as a junk debt buyer and do u think they would win case against my fiancé? Also my fiancé never seen this bill until now because the hospital is in the network of the insurance company therefore the bill was sent directly to them from hospital. The insurance rep believe the hospital staff submitted under wrong policy number because there is a claim number on bill. Plus this bill that came with the summons have everything blacked out except for the amount. He doesnteven remember the treatment he revieved that day since it was so long ago.
3/9/2012
It absolutely sounds like they are a junk debt buyer because they are. If they cannot get in touch with their client, then you need to send them a "Request for Production of Documents" and specify exactly what documents you are requesting in the suit. Your boyfriend also needed to file an answer to the suit in court denying the debts. The firm then has 30 days to provide you the documents proving the debt and if they fail to do so you would file a motion to compel in the court and also a motion to dismiss if they cannot provide the proof. This is how you move them along.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

The thing is that we did respond to summons back in January however we did not send for debt validation. Is the bill they sent that was blacked out proof of the debt? Should we still send a lette for debt validation? Did we just made them win the case? When he goes to court in may do pressler have to prove their case? What are some of the things they need to prove?
You do not need to send a validation, it is too late once suit is filed. You now need to send the Request for Production of Documents, which is what you file to demand they produce documents proving their claim.

In the request for production you demand
1) A copy of the contract proving this debt is your boyfriend's
2) Proof that they have the right to collect the debt
3) An itemized statement proving the charges on the debt
4) Copies of any insurance papers filed to the insurance company

Typically they will not have any of this and at the most they may only have the itemized statement which is what you need to file to the insurance company and that could settle the whole case.
Sorry to keep bothering but u r very helpful. So they can win in court by just showing this blacked out statement is good enough for them to win this case? So u think I should sendva letter requesting those documents? And if they do not provide them?
No, they need to prove the actual debt, that you had a contract to pay the debt, the itemized statement proving the actual amount of the debt and that they have the legal right to collect the debt. They need to provide each of these things in court and you need to make the discovery request for the information so you are not surprised in court if they do present it. If they do not produce the information to you, then you file a motion for summary judgment arguing they have no proof needed to show the debt is your boyfriend's debt.
You are good? How long shouldi give them to send me this info once I send the letter? If they are junk debt buyers you think they have this info? The only thing I do not understand is that when I called the hospital the rep said the bill was too old and it wasntin their system. However on the documents it says pressler is representing hospital. And on one the documents it's says the plaintiff address, which has pressler address instead of hospital. This is o confusing. Overall do u think my boyfriend should fight this?
You do not send a "letter" You have to send a "Request for Production of Documents" which is a legal discovery tool and they have 30 days to respond. Yes, he should fight this since the hospital should have properly submitted it to the insurance and you can still get it to the insurance now if they get you the proper paperwork.
Okay so let me ge this correct. Do I generate a request for production of documents in a letter form or do I have to go through the courts? I just want him to do this correctly
No, you do not go through the courts and it is not a letter. Here is the form of the Request for Production in NJ, and you need to modify it for the right court and he is the defendant and not plaintiff. See: Request for Production
Thanks so much Paul. I'm going to tell him to get this request together and send to pressler. I hope he beats this case. You were the best!
Thank you. Please do not forget to click accept.
No problem. Last question I promise. We are working on letter now. The plaintiff stay as the hospital or should it be pressler? Because in the request we are asking for proof that pressler have the right to sue. Just need a little claricationb
The Plaintiff stays as hospital. I am not reading the suit, but if the hospital is listed as Plaintiff, they stay as plaintiff.
Ok . I send this request directly to pressler or do I have to send to the courts?
You send it directly to the attorney representing the hospital.
Cool. The request u sent me though does not have a section where he can list the documents we want them to present to us....the contract, the right they can collect, etc.
You attach a separate piece of paper marked Attachment A, with the list of the documents you are seeking.
Hey Paul
Hope all is well. We are completing request for production of documents. What do we put on the line where it states ' schedule A and the annexed definitions and instructions hereto at _________' it's on the first page of the request. And can we ask them to provide specific documents? If so just type them up and and along? Thanks
You can ask them to produce specific documents and you can describe them in your Schedule A.

It would be attached hereto and put a period at the end of that. No need to fill in anything else there.
Ok but on the link you sent me I have to put something on that line. And my schedule A is just a document I type up asking for specific documents?
No you do not have to put anything on the line, it was just a template, you can remove the line. If you really want to put something there, insert the page numbers of the instructions and Attachment A.
Ok. So do I have to send all 9 pages of template in and my attachment? And it won't let me delete that line. Do I put my address since it says 'hereto at________'.......also we noticed the weirdest thing...on the bill they sent with summons it has our current address which we were not living the time of the service. You talking almost 6 years ago
No, it would be attached hereto at pages X-Y.

The address on the bill means only that they have your current address.
Ok. Sorry to keep bothering u I just want to get it right. I put page numbers and attachment A. And with the link u sent me do I send them all nine pages or just top page
Yes, you do. You send them everything all of the pages.
Ok I just finished it. It says '.......schedule A and the annexed definitions and instructions hereto at pages 2 & 3 (which are the instructions) & attachment A?
Okay, that is fine.
Cool! I will keep u updated with the status of the suit
Thank you.
Sorry came across another stumble. The form u sent me is for the chancery division. However it has law division on lawsuit. Is that ok
You modify the wording, which is what I thought I said above. The formats are all the same, but you are responsible for modifying the wording for the proper courts.
It doesn't allow you to modify it
You needed to copy that form and paste it to your word processing program for the full editing capability, which you can still do. If not you have to type the entire form over in your word processing program.
Oh i see thanks
Sorry, I should have been clearer with that in the beginning.
Hey I am speaking to an attorney and he says I have no way to win this case and that I should hire him. And that pressler do not buy debts. What should I do?
That part I cannot tell you, but as we always say it is best to use an attorney on these cases than try to represent yourself. Here, you do have some wrongdoing or error by the creditor in not properly submitting the claim to the insurance company, so this is a bit different than a regular debt collection.
Ok is it possible that a judge will make me reliable for the mistake of the hospital? Do pressler still have to prove case in court? Although the insurance rep told pressler to resubmit bill and they did not because they couldn't contact the client.
IF the insurance has offered to pay on this if they would resubmit the bill, they are not cooperating which would go against them, but ultimately it is up to you as the insured to submit the claim, which is why you are entitled to the documents you need to submit the claim AND if Pressler does not provide it from their client, THEN the court can hold them liable and find in your favor.
I see! But do u think the judge would make pressler prove the case in court? Prove the hospital sent bills, it was submitted to insurance company, etc?
They have to prove only that the bill was not paid, but you have mitigating circumstances to prove it was the hospital's fault it was not paid because they failed to properly submit it which would result generally in them not being able to collect attorney's fees and costs or interest for the debt.
Ok. Do I need to take anything to court to prove my defense
You need to take all of the correspondence from the insurance company saying they would process the claim if the proper documents were submitted to them and proof that the hospital submitted the claim incorrectly and you also need copies of all of the letters you sent trying to get the proper documents.
Is it too late for me to ask pressler for documents if I answered their interrogatories already?
No, you have a right to discovery just like they had their right to discovery.
And discovery is what the link you gave me correct?
That is correct.