Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

MY BANK CLOSED MY ACCOUNT ON ONE OF THEM I HAD A NEGATIVE BALANCE…

Customer Question
MY BANK CLOSED MY ACCOUNT...
MY BANK CLOSED MY ACCOUNT ON ONE OF THEM I HAD A NEGATIVE BALANCE AND THEY GOT PAID FOR THAT. I DID HAVE SOME OVERDRAFT FEES DURING THE TIME OF MY STAY WITH THE BANK. SOME OF THEM I PAID SOME OF THM I GOT COURTESY CREDIT. NOW IT APPEAR AS IF THE BANK WANTS TO CHARGE ME FOR ALL THOSE CHARGES. CLAIMING COLLATERAL CHECK FRAUD AND THEFT BY DECEPTION AND THAT IS NOT TRUE
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
3/8/2012
Consumer Protection Lawyer: David L, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
David L
David L, Lawyer
Hello. Unfortunately, I think your options are somewhat limited. You can attempt to settle with the bank, which is probably your best course of action. If they report these claimed outstanding fees on the chex system, it may hinder your ability to open an account at another bank. You can also let it go to collection, and then attempt to settle it there. Finally, if you feel very strongly about it, you can take it to court, but that option might be expensive and you also risk that you may not win.
David L
David L, Lawyer
WHAT HAPPENS TO COURTESY CREDITS FROM THE BANKS
You can argue that they gave you those credits. However, I anticipate they will argue that at the time they gave you the credits, they didn't know whatever information they now know that is causing them to accuse you of collateral check fraud and theft by deception.
David L
David L
David L, Lawyer