Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

i bought a used car and it was in great condition when i looked…

Customer Question
i bought a used car...
i bought a used car and it was in great condition when i looked at it and drove it around but when i went to go get it, it was like someone messed around with it cause ive gone down twice to bring it home and i cant cause its having issues witch the first time it happened he said he had fixed it and when i went down the secound time it still had the same issue what do i do i want my moneys worth of gas the cost of the car and registation for the car, or i can pick someone to fix it and he can pay all of the costs to fix it
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
3/7/2012
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 6 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow ups and my replies because I am typing out my answer, or taking a quick break.

I am sorry for your situation. Did you get any type of warranty when you purchased the vehicle from the seller, in writing?
no it was sold as is but he said he would fix any issues before it left the lot
would this be under the lemon law?
Hello and my apologies for the wait. First of all, I am afraid it does not fall under Lemon Law in Title 9, Chapter 115, Sections 4170 - 4181. Vermont's Lemon Law does not cover used vehicles. Therefore, it is sold "as is," with no warranty. If the seller said he'd fix any issue, then you have to prove that he did, because otherwise it is your word against his and absent a written warranty, I am afraid you may not have many options here.

In sum, it does not fall under lemon law and absent proof of a warranty, I am afraid that this not be actionable. I am very sorry.

While the legal system tries to be inclusive of every possibility, sometimes people are morally wronged but have limited avenues to seek relief. Please understand that this is not the expert’s fault. I am sure that you prefer that I tell you the truth rather than tell you what you want to hear. Please do not “shoot the messenger.” This medium of communication may not always effectively express emotion but do know that I understand that this may not be easy to hear and I empathize.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please do not forget to click ACCEPT. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work – I receive no credit for my time with you unless you actually press ACCEPT, even if you already have a subscription. If you need more information, please use the REPLY button and I’d be more than happy to answer to your satisfaction. There is no fee for follow up questions before or after accepting, if we continue the conversation. If you feel that I went an extra step to help you, a bonus in the form of another accept or an “add on” (available after you accept) is truly appreciated. You can always link to my profile for another question at a later time:

http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-elyJD/
Ely, Counselor at Law