Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

When can collection agencies report a bad debt to credit b…

Customer Question
When can collection agencies report...
When can collection agencies report a bad debt to credit bureau?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/6/2012
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Dwayne B., Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
As soon as a payment is missed or late. There are no specific times they have to wait.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.

I know time is not a factor. I was under the impression that only a creditor (the owner of the debt) could report to the credit bureau, not a designated collector.

No, it depends on their agreement, whether they are acting as an agent of the original creditor, whether they bought the debt, etc. It isn't unusual at all for a collection agency to have the power to report to the credit bureaus.

I do know that if they bought the debt, they are now the creditor. If they took the debts on a commission basis only, that is when I thought that they could not report to the credit bureaus. That seems the same debt would be on the report multiple times. One from the original creditor and one (or more) from collection agencies. I send them a cease and desist letter and they usually give it back to the creditor who may or may not give it to a different collector. That is the reporting that I question.
It should only be on there once, regardless of who is reporting it. However, the collection agency could have reported it acting as the agent of the original creditor so they would be allowed to do so. You should be able to force the agency to remove the duplicated listing though.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer