Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My ex-fiancé hacked into my etrade, bank accounts, auto policy…

Customer Question
My ex-fiancé hacked into my...
My ex-fiancé hacked into my etrade, bank accounts, auto policy and free credit reports. He didn't do anything with my finances, but I have proof from etrade that an ip address that looked at my account was from his place of employment. I also suspect he recently applied for a credit card in my name, which was declined, but have no proof of that. What recourse can I take, if any? I live in the State of Minnesota
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
3/6/2012
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Loren, Lawyer
You can alert the attorney general. If a credit card application was taken out in your name that is identity theft.

You should also have a fraud alert placed on your credit report to prevent any accounts from being opened in your name without your permission. You can do it online at www.equifax.com. Once one agency has the alert the other agencies will pick it up.
Loren, Lawyer
What will alerting the attorney general do? Is there no impact to him for doing this?
The attorney general could prosecute for attempted identity theft.
What is the punishment? I'm out nothing financially.
Minn. Stat. §609.527 (2000)
Classification of Crime/Penalties Identity theft is a criminal offense If single victim, total loss of $250 or less: imprisonment up to 90 days, or fine up to $700, or both; if single victim, total loss more than $250 up to $500: imprisonment up to 1 year, or fine up to $3,000, or both; if two or three victims, or total loss of more than $500 up to $2,500: imprisonment up to 5 years, or fine up to $10,000, or both; if four or more victims, or total loss of more than $2,500: imprisonment up to 10 years, or fine up to $20,000, or both; victim of crime has rights to restitution
Sorry, one more question, since I'm out nothing financially and have had no financial impact, other than him looking at my accounts and the credit card that was declined came to my home, not his, is this even considered criminal activity? Or, is it a relationship gone bad, and I just need to add more security?
It is still a criminal act to submit a credit application in your name.
I just contacted the local police department to ask, and they said its not criminal, unless it went to his house, or money was charged
Not true. The mere act of submitting a credit application in someone else's name is a crime. Contact the attorney general's office.
I have no proof. Do I report it still?
If you have no proof then it is going to be a difficult case to prove. However, the attorney general can subpoena the boyfriend's.
The boyfriends??
The boyfriend's fraudulent application.
What would that prove? It's all my information
It would not have been signed by you.
?? I'm confused. It was an online application
Check with the attorney general in the morning. There are ways of tracing the ip address of where the online application originated.

I am going to go to sleep now. Good luck. The AG should be able to give you some more guidance and be able to investigate your ex's illegal activity.