Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

i took my car to a body shop to fix with my insurance money…

Customer Question
i took my car to...
i took my car to a body shop to fix with my insurance money and the guy told me it was going to be a week job... i pay him 85% of the price and is not done yet its been a month today and the car is not 1/2 done yet.. what can i do? am mad and frustrated dont know what to do
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
3/4/2012
Consumer Protection Lawyer: insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
insearchoftheanswer

Good evening. You should send them a certified, return receipt requested letter explaining the history and demanding that they either repair the car or refund your money in total within a short specified period of time..included in either is the payment of a rental car to the extent your insurance company isn't paying the rental car cost. Inform them that if your demand is not timely complied with, you will have no choice but to file a suit against them for your damages. Be sure to specifically mention that you will be filing this claim not only as a breach of contract case, but also as a deceptive trade practice action, which will entitle you not only to your damages, but also an additional amount equal to 3 times that as punitive damages. That should provide plenty of incentive to comply with your demands; but, if it does not, file your suit.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.