Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My wifes ex-husband gave us $4000 to help purchase a car for…

Customer Question
My wifes ex-husband gave us...
My wifes ex-husband gave us $4000 to help purchase a car for my step-daughter (his daughter) more than 6 years ago. He wanted to help buy her first car. She wrecked that car, and we used the insurance money as a down payment to buy a second vehicle. Is he entitled to any compensation if she moves away, we decide to sell the current car, etc?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
3/2/2012
Consumer Protection Lawyer: insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
insearchoftheanswer

Good afternoon. He has no valid claim. If this was a gift, there is no obligation to pay it back. And, if it was a loan....the statute of limitations is 3 years for a verbal agreement and 6 years if there is a written agreement.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.