Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My daughter, Alexs hurt her knee running. I didnt take her…

My daughter, Alexs hurt her...
My daughter, Alexs hurt her knee running. I didn't take her to a doctor right away because it wasn't broken. 2 months later, she was still complaining that it hurt, so I took her to our family doctor. They did an X-ray and found something. They referred us to a specialist. The doctor ordered PT. The first time Alexs went, was fine. The 2nd time she went the PT person forces her to do more then she could do, she left crying because it hurt so bad. Her knee swelled up for 3 days. I called the PT office and told them that was not ok. I called the doctors office and they agreed that was to much. We continued to go to PT. Half way through the treatment, Alexs said it was getting worst. I called the doctor and we went in. They did an MRI and found her knee to be worst. We cancelled PT. When the bill came in, I called and complained. Because they damaged her knee during PT, I didn't feel we should pay. PT said they did what the doctor ordered. Yes, technically they did - but they did it too much and they damaged her knee during the PT visits. I don't feel we should have to pay for this bill. Do I have a leg to stand on?
2/27/2012
DCrane Law
DCrane Law, Lawyer
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. Yes, you have a leg to stand on. you are essentially claiming that though they complied with the doctor's orders generally, they did so in a negligent fashion causing harm, for which they should not be compensated and rather than expect compensation should be grateful you are not pursing a professional negligence claim against the PT for the damage done to the knee. Please let me know if you need additional guidance.
DCrane Law
DCrane Law, Lawyer
Thank you, have a great day.
I spoke to a lawyer in the town I live if and he also agreed with you that the PT department was at fault with causing more pain and hurting my daughter. But he suggested we take them to small claims court because the bill is only $1400. My husband wants me to send a letter to the hospital to see if they want to settle before I proceed with filing the papers. How do I write the letter?
The letter would be structured as a standard demand letter. If you would like me to assist in the drafting of the letter, please let me know.
How much would you charge to write it?
Regrettably,I cannot discuss pricing in the open forum. I will send a message via customer service whom will be in touch with you shortly.
THANKS!
Thank you. Have you received anything from customer service yet?
No. Hopefully soon.
ok, I do not want you to have to wait any longer, customer service is likely very busy. If you want to open up a new question with the value that you deem appropriate for the assistance with the letter, I will reply in that new post. In the alternative, please feel free to wait, I'm sure customer service is working diligently.
I haven't seen anything either. I will do that.
ok, I will look for your subsequent post.

Did you have everything you need to write the letter? Or do I still need to do something? Also, did you need any details, ie PT address, account number, etc.

Customer service seems to have made things really complicated. I'm not sure if having you write the letter is outside the scope of what this service is for or not. I would like to have you write the letter, and I'm willing to pay you for it. But when customer service became involved over the weekend, either they were not reading through all the posts or they were not understanding what I was asking, but they kept emailing me and tell me to do things that didn't make sense or didn't apply to what I want done. If you are still insterested in crafting the letter for me. I am willing to pay an extra $30 bonus. I'm assuming you would recieve the question amount also. I do need the letter this morning. If you are not comfortable doing, that fine too, just let me know.

Thank you for the follow up, and I apologize for any confusion. Regrettably, I am unable to draft the letter.
That's fine
I apologize for any inconvenience.