Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I sold my car for cash. I did transfer "release of title responsibility"

Customer Question
online hours after sale. I...
I sold my car for cash. I did transfer "release of title responsibility" online hours after sale. I did not smog the car before sale, nor new buyer asked for it. I knew later that smog is seller responsibility. I called buyer and offered to pay for smog ASAP. Off course I cancelled my insurance since the car was sold. This happened a week ago.

Please advise, am I liable for anything or need to correct any action?

Thanks
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
2/26/2012
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law replied 6 years ago
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

Did the buyer pass a smog inspection on his own?

What year was the car?
Smog not done yet. Car Volvo 2000. Last time car passed smog easy and I have no concern. My concern is liability in case car is misused or accidents. Remember that I cancelled my insurance coverage since car was sold.
Did you take your tag off and did the buyer sign a bill of sale?
Title has been signed properly by buyer and seller. I did title transfer between seller (me) and buyer online at DMV website. Every thing was done except smog check. I took my part from title pink slip but did not send to DMV since I reported transfer online ( I have a hard copy of transfer report). I cancelled insurance since I believed sale was final. We did not use bill of sale, but in my pink slip portion and in transfer report, price, mileage, buyer and seller information there. I also have a copy of buyer ID. I have buyer info. My friends say I have every thing in order, but I want to be sure.
Thank you for your follow and further clarification of your question.

If you simply failed to have the car pass a smog inspection prior to selling it, it would not make your sale invalid or expose you to any additional liability related to the vehicle, except that you can be fined if the buyer complaints about the lack of smog inspection or you might have to fix the vehicle so it can pass the smog inspection, if it fails it.

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would appreciate if you would click on the accept button.

Please keep in mind if you already made a deposit or on a monthly subscription plan you will not incur any additional charges, but I will only be compensated for my time and effort only if you click on ACCEPT.

Bonus and positive feedback are always greatly appreciated
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
As I offered to pay for the smog by phone, should I insist to have it done. You mentioned that I can be fined, can you clarify? If I have further questions regarding same issue can I contact you later? Thank you very much
Thank you for your follow up.

Basically, you would only have a potential issue, if the buyer somehow decides to report your failure to pass the smog inspection, but it is generally does not happen, unless the car fails smog inspection when the buyer tries to obtain it.

If you have any related follow up questions, you can let me know and I will be happy to answer them for you.

Thank you!