Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Paul, How do I stop someone to continue to use my name/

Customer Question
Paul, How do I stop...
Paul,

How do I stop someone to continue to use my name/ information for further purchases?

I cosigned for a friend to get dental work and dentures.

Today I discovered that the person got a $9,200 check and has paid nothing to the dental finance compnay.

I am aware that she has bought a new car.

What should I do and how do i stop it? What legal course do I have?

What are the statues of limitaions in Florida?

Thank You for your expert knowledge.
G
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
2/23/2012
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 6 years ago
If they are using your name without your authorization, this is identity theft and you can report them to the police for doing so. It is a 3 year statute of limitations for fraud from the discovery of the fraud. You can also sue for damages you have suffered to your credit report or from any creditors pursuing you.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Paul,

I co-signed for a friend to get dentures. She has not made any payment towards her account. How can I remove myself from this situation? My credit score was 780 and today it's 650! : - 0

Now, she new teeth ($9,200 with my name on it) and a new car! She has not paid on anything.! I called the lender company today and that's how I got the financial information.

Am I legally responsible for $9,200?

For how long?

How can I put the responsiblity on her for her debts?

Mostly importantly, How do I free myself from all this mess with a minimal expense to me?

Thanks....

G

You cannot get out from under, all you can do is sue her for payment and damage to your credit from her non-payment. Once you signed as a co-signer you became contractually obligated and the creditor will not release you from that obligation if she does not pay.

Paul,

Do I need to go and talk to her?

Or should I just go through a lawyer at this time?

or just file a civil action in small claims court?

She has known about this for the past 6 months. I had no idea until I requested my yearly free credit report through my bank.

What is my next step?

What are your recommendations?

What course of actions should I take to protect myself from further damages?

Thanks...G

You can send her a written demand that she pay the obligation to clear your credit report and name and that if she does not you will sue her for damages. If she refuses, then you need an attorney to pursue her as the damages are over the amount of the small claims court maximum of $5000.

Paul,

Is this a case that most attorneys will or will not want to take on?

What attorney do you recommend in Pensacola, Florida for a case like this?

Thanks G

They will not take this on a contingency fee basis because they could not make money off of it but a general litigation attorney will take it on and it may cost you about $2000 or so. We cannot refer any attorneys by site rules, so you would have to use the same sites used by other attorneys for that, http://www.martindale.com or http://www.lexmundi.com.

As my mother says, " You can't hide youthfulness and you can't hide money"

So.....Money Talks

I suppose I've had a defining situation and new purpose in my career. The life lesson as the Bible states...never take on another person's debts.

Nice guys do finish last. They are not respected. People walk all over them. Finacial Predators are always seeking and playing on the heart and emotions of decent people. Therefore, you shouldn't feel sorry for them. Feel sorry for yourself. Because they're doing exactly what they wanted to do... being irresponsible.

Mission accomplished....the game is won by them! They make a you feel rediculous, stupid, a victim and have others to be responsbile for them and made to pay for them and their consequence. All the while there just waiting to find another idiot to play and entertain themselves and play with the life, liberity, pursuit of happiness and the livelyhood of others. (this is my greek drama for today...lol)

Anyway...

Thank You Paul for your help and expert advice. I will take your words to heart. I suppose I'm not the first nor the last that this has happend to them. It will be okay. It will take time to resolve this situation. But I have learned a life long lesson.

Get some rest. It's late and tommorrow is a new day. Have a nice day at work.

I wish you well: Good Health, Wealth, Happiness and Love

Take Care....Thank You for your help : -)

Georgia S

Thank you very much. Unfortunately every profession has their bills to pay and lawyers cannot afford to do cases for free like doctors cannot afford to work for free or any other employee can. Thus, it is so hard to find low cost or free legal assistance I am afraid. God Bless and I am sure this will work out for you.

The Mother of All Professions Are Teachers. Yet they are the least appreciated or least recognized for all the hard work they do for each child/student. Doctors nor lawyers live in the same income level as teachers. Yet every person in every profession has been touched by a great teacher. Otherwise the doctors, nurses, assistants, custodians, mechanics, barbers, artists, muscians wouldn't have discovered what they have become without those 2 or 3 teachers that have touched their life. To be a teacher is to touch a life forever. So no I don't expect you to work for free. Nor I don't want anything for free. Good business makes good friends.

If you didn't notice, I did send you a bonus. However, it might have not be satisfactory to you. But of course, I'm not a PhD. So sorry ..... that only 33% of Americans have a 4 year degree. Isn't that surprising? I guess thats because, the majority of the people andeverywhere you look lives in poverty, disgust, frustration and survial mode. Yet were a society full of takers or what can you do for me or, gimmie, gimmie, gimmie .... everyone is ready to take with no conscience ....just gimmie, gimmie, gimmie... Perhaps the doctors and the lawyers just go to the country clubs and drive on the same streets so they don't have to see the daily real world of the general population. Think about it....

Good Night

Please do not worry about the bonus, that is something the site does and not the experts. I was also making reference to the professions in general when I said that finding a lawyer to take this on a contingency when talking about pay. I am sure though you will get this resoled and will get some legal assistance to do so.