Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have been summoned to court for a past medical bill that…

Customer Question
I have been summoned to...
I have been summoned to court for a past medical bill that was a result of surgery 2 years ago. I did default from a collection agency on payment. No I have an attorney sueing me for $600. I have offered $400 and offered payments to no avail. How do I respond in court.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/22/2012
Consumer Protection Lawyer: KnowYourRights, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
KnowYourRights

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer. I will be the expert that will be helping you today. I look forward to helping you solve your problem.

First read the summons and see if you need to file a written response. If you do, you need to answer the allegations and raise any defenses which you may have. If you only need to appear, you could likely ask the court to send the matter to mediation and try and work something out. They may be more willing to try and work out a payment plan rather then go to trial, get a judgment and may not end of with anything, unless they want to garnish your wages or go after other assets.

KnowYourRights
The court says I can say no contest or agree and not have to appear but would that be the same as a default against me. I want to avoid court fees. This attorney will show up.
If you agreed or did not contest it, the plaintiff would likely be granted the relief which they seek through the court. You should contact the attorney and ask if they will waive some fees and withdraw the case, if you were to consent to the amount and not make them appear. It could have you money be avoiding him having to appear.
How do I respond in writing to court summons. "The Answer".
You need to answer the allegations made in the complaint. ( i.e. 1,2,3 etc) and you also need to raise any affirmative defenses which you may have.
no
What does that mean?
KnowYourRights
KnowYourRights
KnowYourRights, Lawyer