Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

I had my car taken to a nearby auto repair shop to have the

left front wheel reattached to...
I had my car taken to a nearby auto repair shop to have the left front wheel reattached to the chassis (spindle to control arm etc.) and told them that was the ONLY work I wanted done. After three days of no word from them I called and spoke to the owner. he said I was lucky that no other damage had been done and that he would call me the next day at ten am. He never called. After more than a week I was out of town so my son called them. He was told the car was done and the bill was $417. I was expecting something close to $125. When we asked why so much we were told a brake job was done. I specificly told them repair ONLY the left front wheel. I called for an explanation and was told the car needed brakes soon so they installed them. I told them I did not authorize any work like that and I would not pay for work I did not request. Now we have a big disagreement on our hands. I can not afford to pay an extra $300 nor do I want to. What now?
10/14/2011
Jane T (LLC)
Jane T (LLC), Lawyer

Jane T (LLC) :

Did you obtain a written estimate from the mechanic?

JACUSTOMER-0obyqu1k- :

no car was towed there. was told over phone 50 for tow and an hour labor. they did work that had nothing to do with the repairs needed.

JACUSTOMER-0obyqu1k- :

I am at a public library and have only 5 or 6 minutes left.

Sorry I did not get your message sooner.

According to the New Mexico laws, as stated here from the New Mexico Attorney General's office, auto mechanics are required to give customers a written estimate for any car repair costing more than $100, that you did not get one, therefore, was against the law . You may want to contact the state's Attorney General's Consumer Protection Division, here, (by phone or walk-in service) to speak to them about this situation to see if they can help reach a negotiation and or if they will start an investigation into what occurred here. Clearly, a shop should only do what they have permission to do, and that may also be the basis of a civil law suit in small claims.

Jane T (LLC)
Jane T (LLC), Lawyer
Jane T (LLC)
Jane T (LLC)
Jane T (LLC), Lawyer