How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Knowledgeable in the areas of consumer protection.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am recently divorced. My ex got the house in the divorce,

Resolved Question:

I am recently divorced. My ex got the house in the divorce, but has not refinanced to take my name off the loan. The loan is in default and the bank is trying to garnish my wages. What if anything can I do? Help!
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 6 years ago.
You can't do anything. The divorce and whatever agreements you made with your ex are not binding to the lender since they were not a party to your divorce agreement. So you can't avoid liability unless you take over the property and the loan in your name and remove her. Further she is in violation of the divorce agreement if she failed to refinance and is now defaulting on payments. What you can do? You will need to return to divorce court on a contempt action against her for the violation in defaults and try to negotiate the sale of the property or you take the property and loan all together. The court can order the sale of the property if she is unable to afford the house and you are not obligated in the divorce to pick up her slack.

Please click accept, and I can help with further questions if you have them.


Please Note: is a public forum. is not a law firm. is only a question and answer site. Asking a question does not create an attorney-client relationship nor is your question protected under the attorney-client privilege. An attorney-client relationship is established when you enter into written contract for representation and pay a retainer directly with the attorney or attorney’s firm. uses the term “Expert”. I do not hold myself as an expert when I answer your questions. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given.

My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator and 4 other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you