Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Complaint against Wyndham Vacation Resorts To whom it may…

Customer Question
Complaint against Wyndham Vacation Resorts To...
Complaint against Wyndham Vacation Resorts
To whom it may concern:

On Monday, 21 June 2010 I arrived at Wyndham Tower in Atlantic City, NJ to begin a three-day stay (my first using points from Wyndham Vacation Resorts). After checking in, I was advised to see a representative at the customer services desk. She scheduled me to me a sales representative to “review my membership” and have the opportunity to “ask questions.” This seemed innocent enough. At 12:30pm, so on Tuesday, 22 June I went to the sixth floor members’ area and met with the sales representative, Thomas Slaza. I spent the next two hours listening to his sales presentation. I wasn’t interested until Mr Salaza caught my interest in telling me about what privileges VIP owner is entitled to wi.th their ownership. He talked about using my Wyndham property as an investment. It was explained to me that once you become a VIP you own enough real estate that the company would buy it back when we were done with it for whatever they were selling it for on their sales floors in the future. He also told me that VIP owners could reserve time at Wyndham properties and Wyndham has an automatic rental program for owners which are a great way of making money to pay my monthly Wyndham shares bill. He indicated that purchasing additional shares would raise me to VIP status which had these amazing advantages. I explained to him that this really did sound amazing but I would be unable to afford the upgrade cost even though those 2 benefits were worth it. It was then explained to me that there would be nothing to afford because my rentals would cover most cost. I agreed with him but the problem was the down payment. I didn’t have it to put down. I didn’t want to use my credit card for that much money. Mr. Salaza explained to me that if he could get financing at at 100% so I wouldn’t have to get a down payment together. I agreed to this and was ready to do the deal.
After about 2 weeks I received a credit card with a $4000.00 balance on it! So much for 100% financing. As I called to complain, I then realized that by talking to an agent I not only been tricked, but I was also lied to about Wyndham buying our my ownership and having them rent it for the VIP’s. I am asking for help because I can’t be forced to pay for all of the lies and misrepresentations. Please help me get out of this nightmare.

Respectfully XXXXX
Member #00201683022 XXXXX
Philadelphia, PA 19124
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
12/21/2010
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 7 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

I would be happy to help you, however, I'd like to clarify some things:-What exactly was SIGNED in the contract in regards XXXXX XXXXX? Who would be financing it?-How long has it been since you received the bill?

I signed a Purchase and Sale Agreement. The purchase price was $16.900.00. Closing costs were $349.00. Total purchase price was $17,249.00. A deposit of $4,312.25 was made by opening an RCI Mastercard (# 5466 3219 3070 7125). There followed a Contract Addendum with monthly payments from my checking account ($201.98) plus 20+ other pages of docements. I am debted each month.
So the contract had no mention about financing - the financing part was all verbal?
No. The financing was part of the contract. The issue is pressure and confinement.
We seem to be having a miscommunication - what do you mean by pressure and confinement? As in terms of attempting to have the contract made void by claiming that you signed under duress?I originally understood that you'd want attempt to bring claims of misrepresentation and other related claims against the business?
Here is the essence of my complaint. I was pressured over the course of two hours to buy a time share I originally had no intention of buying. I went into that meeting expecting to "go over my account." I came out with a new time share at a total cost of $17,249.00.
Can you show pressure that someone would not let you leave the room until you signed, or threatening you in any way unless you did?
No.
That is what the Court would look for, I am afraid. The Court will want to see actual duress, sorry to say. Wolf v. Marlton Corp., 154 A. 2d 625 - NJ: Appellate Div. 1959. What you have described is simply no enough to cancel the contract. I am sorry.I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work; I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

If you still need to clarify something or seek more information, just use the INFO button and I’d be more than happy to follow up to your satisfaction! There is no fee for follow up questions after an accept should you wish to continue in this thread and I encourage you to do so should you need clarification!

While the legal system tries to be inclusive of every possibility, sometimes, people are ethically wronged but have limited legal avenues seek relief. If so, please understand that this is not the expert’s fault, but the way of circumstance.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus is always appreciated!

You can always request me for a future advice through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Ely, Counselor at Law
Ely, Counselor at Law