Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Hi, Can you tell me if J.Murphy Firm is legit And also I sent

Can you tell me if J.Murphy Firm is legit?And also I sent them a check for 699.00 as they claimed they could get a credit card summons stricken from the record and I would not have to pay the credit collection agency,is that true?

Thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Where do they claim to be located?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
They have a return address on the letter head of
THE J. MURPHY FIRMXXXXX#301
PITTSBURGH,PA 15219
They do seem to be legitimate law firm:http://www.jmurphyfirm.com/

It seems that they sent you an advert once your name appeared on docket for a court. This is quite common; happens often with traffic tickets. While I cannot speak for their success or their claimed guarantee, they are a legitimate firm. However, the overall outcome depends on the case - you should call them and see what exactly they promise to do for you in exchange for said payment.I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work; I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

If you still need to clarify something or seek more information, just use the INFO button and I’d be more than happy to follow up to your satisfaction! There is no fee for follow up questions after an accept should you wish to continue in this thread and I encourage you to do so should you need clarification!

While the legal system tries to be inclusive of every possibility, sometimes, people are ethically wronged but have limited legal avenues seek relief. If so, please understand that this is not the expert’s fault, but the way of circumstance.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus is always appreciated!

You can always request me for a future advice through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is it possible to even get something stricken from the record as that is what they are claiming to be doing.
Are they talking about the credit bureau?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am not sure we received a summons from the court and they contacted us(J.Murphy) and said they could garuntee us to have it stricken from the record for 699.00 we are not even sure of what that means "getting it stricken"
Just to clarify - you are being sued or about to be sued, correct? This is for a legal matter, and not to clear a credit bureau report?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes we were about to be suued
I am not sure either what they mean by 'stricken' but I am guessing they mean to cancel the suit, or otherwise win it. You'd have to call them for a specific explanation of their advert; I would not presume to speak for them.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
One more question and then i should be done,sorry.What is the worst that can happen to us if they do not striken or win the case?Can we lose our home/farm,have our checking account frozen or attached,or have a lein put against our home.And i read their papers and what they are meaning by stricken is "having it dropped from the record".
No worries and you may ask as many questions as you'd like - this is what I am here for. :)

In Pennsylvania, they cannot garnish your wages for this type of debt if they get a Judgement against you, at all. However, they CAN garnish your bank accounts unless you show that the money there is for disability, SSA, or retirement.They may also place a lien on any titled property that you own like a vehicle or a house, but they CANNOT take any property away from you.I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work; I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am so sorry my husband has a question now but i promise this will be the last one!If we file bankruptcy would we have to give up our house or farm land,they are paid for.My husband is retired and all we have coming in for income is his retirement money of 1300.00 a month.This is why we could not keep up the credit card payment.We are considering bankruptcy but are scared of losing the things we finally got paid off.
Again, it is okay :)

If you file Bankruptcy, it depends which one - Chapter 7 or 13? They both have different structures, and to see what is exempt, see here:http://www.abanet.org/publiced/practical/books/family_legal_guide/bankruptcy_7_13.pdfhttp://www.bankruptcyaction.com/questions.htmNote that your state and federal exemptions differ somewhat (not much) - it is up to your attorney which would be better to file - you can file a BK under either rules.