How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Girl Your Own Question
Law Girl
Law Girl, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 4606
Experience:  I am an attorney versed in laws that protect consumers.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Law Girl is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If my wife has a Credit Card debt that the creditor earns a

Resolved Question:

If my wife has a Credit Card debt that the creditor earns a judgement on, can they attach a joint bank account? Or garnish my wages? We reside in VA, and she does not work.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Girl replied 6 years ago.

Law Girl :

Thank you for your question. Although I am an attorney, I cannot represent you. However, I will give you the most thorough information I am able. Was she working at the time she applied for the credit card?

Law Girl :

Did she list your income on the application?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I am unsure, but I belive no

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I believe we listed my income...I am not listed as an applicant though, the loan is solely in her name

Expert:  Law Girl replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for that clarification.

The fact that your name is XXXXX XXXXX the application may be a semantic issue. If your income is listed, even if the card is in her name, the credit card company may be able to rely on joint assets or household assets to repay the debt.

It may be in your best interests to see if a copy of the credit card application can be obtained and sit down with a local Consumer Law Attorney to look at the remedies afforded to the credit card company.

Please let me know if you have any other questions on this matter or require clarification. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT" so I may receive credit for my efforts.

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Any information provided is not the practice of law but intended to direct you in finding an attorney in your locale.

You can always request me with beginning your question with "For LawGirl..."

Law Girl and 3 other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you