How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LADY LAWYER Your Own Question
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 6536
Experience:  Consumer Lawyer
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
LADY LAWYER is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Got a letter in the mail for a peremptory Calendar Call for

This answer was rated:

Got a letter in the mail for a peremptory Calendar Call for a Credit card debt... We have filed 2 reponse to this debit in court once in 2007 and another in 2008. We have request in both response for them to provide us proof as we show no record of this debt. We have sent them a certified letter requsting this info as well. We have spoken to 3 peoplee, who's name we have requesting this info.
What is this preemptory calender call ?
WE can't afford an attorney and Have a conflict with that date as my husband has been summons for jury duty



This means that the discovery period in your case has expired and the judge wants to see the parties for them to announce whether the case is ready for trial and when trial should be scheduled. You do not want to miss this or the judge can default you. Your husband can get out of jury duty if he has to appear in court for something else.


A certified letter is not the proper means of discovery, which is why you did not receive a response. Serving Interrogatories, Requests for Admissions and/or a Request to Produce upon the opposing side is the proper way to ask them to produce proof of this debt. I realize the you don't know the law, which is why there are attorneys, but I don't know if the judge will extend the discovery period so that you can go back and do this. You can make an oral motion to "enlarge time for discovery" when you go see the judge, which means you are requesting extra time. You will show proof that you tried to ask for the discovery in good faith. The best case scenario is that the judge sides with you because you are a non-attorney and believes that you have made sufficient attempts to get the proof from opposing counsel. Please just let me know if you have any more questions. If not, please don't forget to click on the green accept button in the answer box so that I can receive credit for helping you. It is the only way I can receive compensation for my time and it will charge you nothing further to press accept. Thanks so much.


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We requested the information as well in the papers we filled with the court in 2007 and 2008. Was that not sufficent?



There are Rules of Civil Procedure in the law that everyone--attorneys and non-attorneys have to follow. In order to request the proof of this debt, you needed to go through the discovery process, which includes "serving" the things I mentioned above on opposing counsel. This is done by preparing these legal documents in a specific way, filing them with the court and sending copies to opposing counsel. Now, because you are not an attorney, the court may or may not find that your "letter" was a sufficient way of asking for the proof of this debt. Generally, a certified letter would not be considered a proper part of the discovery process. But the court has broad jurisdiction and may say that it was allowable as a way to request the proof in this case. Otherwise, you are going to have to ask for more time for discovery and serve your requests the proper way.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
also, both my husband and I are listed in the letter, do we both have to appear?
Who was sued?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It says both mine and my husbands names....
Then yes, it is best if you are both there since you are both named defendants in the lawsuit.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
also do you feel that at this point it is in our best interest to borrow money for an attorney?
Well, that depends. If you feel this debt is totally bogus, then yes. If you feel it is legitimate, then any attorney you hire is probably just going to want you to settle the debt, which means you will pay at least 50% of what opposing counsel is asking, plus your attorney's fees. If that is more than what opposing counsel is asking you to pay, you would probably do better just calling opposing counsel and asking them to settle the debt yourselves.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Sorry, just one more question.... If we settle, do they usually ask for the lump sum?

You will be able to settle for less if you can pay a lump sum; however, they could very well accept a payment program for a higher amount. Generally, offering 50% in a lump sum is considered the normal amount to start off with. If payments are made, it may be more like 75%. Whatever you do, if you do not have a signed agreement before the court date for a settlement, make sure you SHOW UP in court--no matter what opposing counsel says. I have had the other side straight up tell people there was no need for them to show up to a hearing just so they could go and get a default against them.

LADY LAWYER and other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you