How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Steinlaw Your Own Question
Steinlaw, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 1811
Experience:  Consumer law attorney, author of California Debt Blog, top foreclosure attorney
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Steinlaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Need advice on what to do about my RV that is being repossesed.

Resolved Question:

Need advice on what to do about my RV that is being repossesed. I am trying to work out the issues with the lender but they will not talk to me. I am only hearing from the repo people. How can I make them talk to me about resolution? Is there an attorney in California that would deal with this issue for me? I am way behing in my payments but now able to catch up. They offered a short sale to me. I gave them several offers up to one they said they would accept but never heard from them. I let time pass. I have received no written mail about anything. Now the repo say that the lender will not talk to me since so much time has gone by and that I must give it up. I want to keep it and buy it from them at the agreed to settlement price. I could send funds but afraid that will not accomplish anything.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Steinlaw replied 6 years ago.
-How much are you behind?
-Can you come up with all of the money at once?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am behind quite a bit. about 15 payments of 900 each. I could possibly come up with most of the money due. However, they are now out of the RV loan business. I am upset they offered me a short sale and never replied when I sent in offers. I owe about 90k and they seem to be happy with 65k but we nothing happened from there.
Expert:  Steinlaw replied 6 years ago.
I am sorry you are going through this.

You have a couple of options:

1. You could just turn it in as a voluntary repo and see what they do with it. They will sell it and you would be responsible for the deficiency;
2. You could hire a broker or an attorney to do the short sale for you. Again, with cars and RVs they usually will pursue you for the deficiency;
3. You could see if you qualify for bankruptcy and just bankrupt out of this;
4. You could pay the back payments. This is called tender. I would send them a bank check for the full amount via certified mail. This brings you current. Keep a copy of the check and the method by which you sent it so you can prove you sent it.

Those are really your only options. If you want to keep the RV, go with 4. If you want to get rid of it, pick from 1, 2 or 3.

Good luck.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Bankruptcy is not an option. Credit wise if i turn it in what will happen to my credit? Will they come after me for the difference?

If I choose to go for the short sale what attorney should I look for?

Expert:  Steinlaw replied 6 years ago.
If you turn it in, they will come after you for the difference. You are looking at a drop in your credit score for a voluntary repo, but it is better than a rgular repo.

As for an attorney, find a consumer law attorney. He or she should be able to help you.
Steinlaw and 4 other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you