LADY LAWYER
LADY LAWYER, Lawyer
Experience:  Consumer Lawyer
7887522

can you mail cigarette's over state lines ? if so how many

can you mail cigarette's over state lines ? if so how many can i mail at a time
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  LADY LAWYER replied 7 years ago.

No, this is not allowed. Cigarettes are taxed by the state governments and each state tax is different. Some states have even tracked down people who have bought their cigarettes illegally online and billed them for unpaid taxes. See this article here: http://www.stateline.org/live/ViewPage.action?siteNodeId=136&languageId=1&contentId=29157 Please just let me know if you have any more questions. If not, please don't forget to click on the green accept button in the answer box so that I can receive credit for helping you. It is the only way I can receive compensation for my time and it will charge you nothing further to press accept. Thanks so much!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i thought u could mail up to 2 cartons and i heard of an indian reservation doing it
Indian reservations are not governed by state law. They are federally regulated. That is why you can go there and not have to pay any tax on cigarettes at all. If a person wanted to start a business shipping cigarettes, then this would not be advisable. If a person just wants to ship a friend a couple cartons of cigarettes as a one-time deal, it is unlikely to cause a problem.