Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

hi... I just received a call from a collector collecting on…

Customer Question
hi... I just received a...
hi... I just received a call from a collector collecting on a medical bill that his company lost several post-dated checks that I had sent them in pmt of my debt. He says we still have an agreement (that I would pay and he would clear it off my credit record). He is now requested that I send replacement checks for the ones lost. Do I need to do that, or can I say I upheld my end of the agreement and paid, but if he lost the checks, that's his problem? ... thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
6/29/2010
Consumer Protection Lawyer: California Lawyer, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
California Lawyer

If you sent them post-dated checks and they lost them (or more particularly if the money they are owed has not left your account) then they haven't been paid. If you hand someone a $20 bill in payment and they lose it then they have been paid. They money actually left your hand. If however you send a check and they lose it, they haven't. The money is still in your account.

Look at it this way....if you lost your paycheck on the way to the bank, would you expect your employer to send you a new one?

I'm sorry, but you need to send them the money they are owed.

DCG