Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Hello, I signed up for an online real estate course through…

Customer Question
Hello, I signed up for an...

I signed up for an online real estate course through what I found out was a very shady company about 6 months ago. I had 3 days to change my mind and cancel. When I called to cancel, they got their "specialist sales guy" on the phone and he got me to agree to stay with the course for a very reduced price, which still came to $4000. He sent me out a new contract, and I emailed him back saying I was ready to proceed and would print out and send the signed contract back to him. A few days later, I changed my mind about this again, and having not signed the new contract yet, called to request my money back. The guy was extremely rude and told me that I had verbally committed to proceed and would not give me a refund. I disputed this charge with my credit company, but since they could not get the money back either, they're holding me liable for the full amount.

Do I have a case here?

Thanks,
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/29/2010
Consumer Protection Lawyer: FLACORPLAWYER, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
FLACORPLAWYER
I don't think you have a case Jerry. You called to cancel. You then decided not to cancel and simply amend your course, but nothing was signed at that time. Right now the original contract is in effect. You may be able to negotiate down to the reduced contract if you sign it up now.
There was never an original contract though. I never signed anything. My mistake was giving them my credit card number so they billed me. As a matter of fact, this company didn't even provide me with any type of written receipt/bill of sale with details of any of the software or anything included in this course. What I do have is a saved email where I tell him that I will send back a signed contract, which I never did. During the dispute that my credit card company was handling, they sent them a letter saying that they wouldn't refund the money because we have a signed contract in place, but that's a complete lie.

Still no case?
Sorry. When you originally used the term "signed up" I assumed you actually signed something. Your argument then is that there is no agreement between the parties. I don't think the credit card company is liable to you, so your recourse is to sue the school. That may prove easier said than done. You need to find out where they are incorporated and then you need to get into court (small claims?).
Thanks for your help!

Can you tell me what type of attorney I should look for to handle this case? Also, is this one of those cases that an attorney might take for free, then take a percentage of the settlement if the case is won?