Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Thank you for taking time to hear me out. The begining of the…

Customer Question
Thank you for taking time...
Thank you for taking time to hear me out. The begining of the whole repair process, I had a crack in my radiator and I needed my tires done along with my brakes. They told me I needed a new serp belt, rear wheel cylinder, master cylinders, rear brake shoes, rear brake hardware kit, and after they done all of that with a oil change, my water pump was just pouring out water, they told me that it went out when they after they installed the radiator. I sat there the whole time from about 10:30- 6:25, I asked why was it just pouring out like that? He said he was going to talk to the mechanics about the issue. then he come back an tells me that the mechanic will come explain the problem. He came and told me that I would be needing a new water pump and a intake gasket to stop the leaking. I told them I didn't have problems with none of my other parts in my engine as far as leaking or loss of fluids. They told me when you install new parts on the engine it causes pressure to go to other places in the engine. I was tired and aggervatted that my truck was not going to be able to really be driven after all of this work. I agreed to bring it back the following day to get more repairs done on it. I had the water pump installed, lower intake gaskets done. I sat there the whole time again, and I was there until almost 6 again. They told me everything is cooled down and it's ready to roll. Before I left the mechanic said they thought I would be needing another new part, but it seems like that wasn't the real problem, everything is good now. That same day I felt a lot of heat coming fromn my engine when I drove it a couple of blocks to my home. They told me they had it running for a hour an a half to make sure everything was ok, so I was thinkin it was just still hot from them doing that, I never felt that heat come from my engine like that. I'm heading to our studio in Argyle the next day, and it was doing the same thing, I called and informed them of the matter, and the guy who answered the phone told me they were kinda tied up and there will be a wait, so I told him I would call back tommorrow to see if I can get in to get checked out. I got to the shop and thay tell me that I couldn't drive the vechical, they didn't tell me why. I said to the man, why did you say it was ready knowing that you guys messed up on something, It was how they installed some parts on my truck that made it act like that, and I told him when I crank it up now it makes a sound like something is loose. He said that the guy running the counter was supposed to tell me something else but he didn't, and he got fired for having parts repaired that didn't need repairs, and he said he was sorry about that, but sorry is not going to get my truck fixed. I dropped my car off before I went to work an they called me an said that it was ready to go again, an I drove it home, i was on vacation and was not driving that vechical for three days, then when it's time to go back to work a go crank it up and it was putt putt like a old school ride. I call them on the way to work and informed them, and everywhere I go is just a couple of miles from each other, job, stores and studio's, and I couldn't make it no where with out a problem. Well the way I work I don't have much daytime to do much, so I was always missing them before I they get off, I had to have it towed to suntire, they were telling me this an that about it, but I don't know what he was talking about. Then we talked for about 45 minutes an he said from what he can see right now, I have a blown headgasket. They said they were going to call me, I got it up there about 11:30, an the whole dasy went by no call, then the next day I call an he said I told you I wasn't going to be able to get to it that day I just found out your problem a hour ago an I was going to call, an he said that work we don't do an we are done here. Then I decided to contact a attorney, because it's hard enough making money today, an when you take most of the money I have saved up for repairs an destroy my engine just to make money off of somebody is just wrong, an somebody should teach them a lesson on honesty. I hope that gave you a big enough picture to see where I'm coming from. The Company Name isXXXXX Orange ParkXXXXXOrange Park FL, 32073 phn#(NNN) NNN-NNNNMVR#174. Thank you for your help.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
6/28/2010
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 8 years ago
If they were negligent in performing their repairs then you can sue them for the costs of the damages and your losses. However, the mechanic who spoke to you is correct in that many times when work is done on an engine to fix one problem the fact that the problem is fixed can cause other issues to arise since the pressure is now correct and not low or for other reasons and the repair shop is not liable for that. In order to hold the shop liable you must show through expert testimony that the actual work they did caused the other damage and unless you are able to show that, I am afraid just because something else breaks when they fix one thing does not make them liable for the new damages.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.