Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My husband business went out of business due to the economy.

Customer Question
He was sued by our...
My husband business went out of business due to the economy. He was sued by our franchise for back rent in the Superior Court of Ventura, CA. My husband did not show up for court and the franchise got a judgement against us. When we looked up the court case the last posting said, "Case disposed with disposition of Default judgment by court." This happened on 6/17/10. In the mail we got a notice for a court date on 6/28/10. Why do we have a court date if they have already ruled in favor of the franchise? Does my husband need to appear?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
6/27/2010
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 8 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Does it say what the hearing is for?

Thank you for that, but I was saying on the NOTICE for the hearing, does it say what it's for? Is there a motion attached to the notice?
No motion is attached. It just says, "Notice of Court Trial (LC)." It tells us the date, time and where it is scheduled. It does say, "Failure to appear may result in a dismissal."
I am going to opt out of your question and let another expert opt in to help you. No need to respond to this message. Additionally, you do not have to stay online – your question will remain active and an email will be sent to you as soon an expert answers it. My apologies for the inconvenience. You have not been charged. Good luck.
Consumer Protection Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

I am California attorney. The answer is either that the notice is a mistake, because there was originally a trial date set on the case management system, which was rendered meaningless because the plaintiff won a default against you.

Or, the notice is actually a demand for a "judgment debtor examination" hearing, which is where the defendant must answer questions about the location and amount of assets, so that the plaintiff can attempt to have the sheriff execute or garnsh them.

I'm betting that the answer is the former, rather than the latter, because generally, a judgment creditor will send out written interrogatories before requesting a hearing. And, since you apparently haven't had any, then it's likely that this notice is just an automated error.

Call the clerk tomorrow and ask. The online system is never as up-to-date as what the clerks have on their computers.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.