Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have a credit card debt that was last made a payment 4 years…

Customer Question
I have a credit card...
I have a credit card debt that was last made a payment 4 years ago but the collection agency are still harrasing me for it to be paid. Is there a Statute of Limitation on certain debts that if run unpaid for so many years that that debt should be unclollectable and unreportable anymore? I live in the state of MD but the debt was incured while I was in VA if this information applies. What recourse of action can I do if these individuals should contact me again?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/27/2010
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Hello and thank you for your question. Do you dispute the debt?
yes...because of the validity of it. I don't know how it got to be that huge of an amount...
Much of it is interest and costs. You can negotiate a reduction often since they work on commission.