Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Bought a used vehicle from dealership. Within 72 hours it had…

Customer Question
Bought a used vehicle from...
Bought a used vehicle from dealership. Within 72 hours it had what I suspect is an electrical problem and the car totally shut down, engine would not turn over, nothing electrical working...removed key from ignition, marker lights flickered continuously. Had it towed at my expense to dealers lot. Was told they'll look at it first thing Monday. Have since found out dealership has many dissatisfied customers related to simlilar issues. Suspect vehicle was not inspected before sale. Can contract be canceled? Am aware that dealer is allowed to keep up to 5%.

Thanks,
Marie
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
6/27/2010
Consumer Protection Lawyer: legaleagle, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
legaleagle
legaleagle, Lawyer

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/safety/consumer/rights/dealerprob.htm

If you want to cancel the contract you will have to pay a penalty and that is if the dealer will allow you to cancel. They do not have to allow you cancel once you sign the contract because there is no 3 day right to change your mind.

"If you have a problem with a used car you bought from a Wisconsin dealership, Wisconsin Department of Transportation's (WisDOT) Dealer & Agent Section may be able to help. However, Wisconsin law says that before it can investigate your case, you must tell the dealership about the problem and give it an opportunity to resolve the situation. Keep a record of any contact with the dealership, including whom you talk to and when. Get an invoice for any repairs, or write down the date, time, and repair person's name. Be reasonable and friendly with the dealer. Make clear exactly what you would like the dealership to do to resolve your problem. If you don't resolve your dispute with the dealer, contact WisDOT's Dealer & Agent Section at(NNN) NNN-NNNNor by e-mail at [email protected]"