Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My parents are selling a commercial piece of property in Bklyn,

Customer Question
NY, and the original plumbing...
My parents are selling a commercial piece of property in Bklyn, NY, and the original plumbing company recommended by Keyspan did not file for a permit, and in 2009 Keyspan failed to inform the Building Dept of an up to date boiler inspection. A recent survey revealed this and their are violations against the property. The plumbing company is out of business, all we have a is plumbers license number. What do we do? this is holding up closing on property. Thank you
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
6/27/2010
Consumer Protection Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

Good morning.

I assume that you've already dialed 311 and reported the plumber to the NYC licensing ageny.

The only thing you can do is hire another plumber to pull a permit and complete the work. Whatever those costs turn out to be are your damages, and you could then sue Keyspan for negligence, and the plumber for the breach of contract and warranty.

If you're lucky, the damages will be less than the $10,000 small claims court maximum, and you can sue without a lawyer. Otherwise, you may have to hire legal representation. For a construction/civil litigation attorney referral, see: http://www.abanet.org/legalservices/lris/directory/main.cfm?id=NY and www.martindale.com.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Thanks for your help---will try to find plumber, I do not want to hold up closing on property.
You're welcome and good luck.