Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have a document fro Suttell and Hammer suing me for money…

Customer Question
I have a document fro...
I have a document fro Suttell and Hammer suing me for money owed by me to Capital ON. I losy my job ,ast April and I am now collecting SS only. My wife does work. if I don't show for the judgement hearing assuming it is a real one. then what can they do to me. I would guess the could put a lien on my home but is there anything else I need to be concerned about. Since I have less than the allowable equity what should I do? I am 64 years old unlikely to find full time work again.
Thank you.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
6/27/2010
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Hello and thank you for your question. how much is the lawsuit for?
The amount is for $3973.64 plus they are asking me to agree to $600.00 in attorneys fees along with the stipulation of payments and Confession of Judgement.
do you dispute the debt?
I dispute the amount with all the extra charges and fees associated as I had a limit of 2600 that I never exceeded in purchases. I just do not have the ability to pay them off. I tried to settle with Capital One many months ago and never could make an arrangement. I just need to know what they can and can't do even with a judgement if they get one. I am not even sure they represent Capital one and I can't find out if they bought the debt that was written off by Cap One. There are many complainst on the internet about Suttell and Hammer Bellevue WA. as predatorty and sometimes illlegal actions.
You can try to settle then for a reduced amount. Often this is accomplished since creditors work on commission or else seek to do it in court.
You have not answered my question. What can they do and how can they come after me once they recieve a judgement in court if I am not there.Can they force sale of my home garnish wifes wages or anything else.
A lien on my home perhaps?

What are my risks?
They can get a judgment if you dont appear. Then they can pursue bank accounts and put a lien on real estate. Foreclosure not likely unless judgment in excess of $25000 typically.
I am very disappointed in your answer. Very vague..no details. Since I started this process with you I have found information as to protected bank assets of earned wages in this state and also found that they can not attach SS payments. Lien on house yes but 125,000 in equity is protected. Apparently also they can if they choose go after wifes wages with a garnishment even though her name is XXXXX XXXXX the credit card account. What I really want to know is what actions are they likely to take given the somewhat low amount of this debt. You tell me to settle when I told you I can't even afford to make payments. How am I supposed to settle for a lump sum. Your answer is canned and not direct to my issue. I am very dissatisfied with this service and I will not click on accept. I would like a refund of my 15.00 as its about all i have and you didn't earn anything in my view.
If not then I will chalk it up to one more internet scam.
Good day
I will opt out and let another colleague take over.
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Your previous expert was correct. If you choose to dispute this suit and they obtain a judgment, they can seek to seize property or bank accounts, with the exception that your SS and retirement income is exempt from seizure and any money in your accounts that is from SS or from retirement income is exempt from seizure as well. In preparation for this suit you should make sure you have one account where the only contents of that account are your monies from SS and/or your retirement accounts and have your wife open her own account in her name only and deposit her income into that account. In this way you can minimize anything they could even try to collect from. Next, you should file an answer to the suit and deny all of the amounts and the company has to prove the debt was yours and the exact amount of the debt as well to the court. Once you answer the suit then you can negotiate some settlement with the attorney from the other side as your previous expert stated.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.