Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

MY daughter (32) has lived in the Cedarwood Park Forest Cooperative…

Customer Question
MY daughter (32) has lived...
MY daughter (32) has lived in the Cedarwood Park Forest Cooperative for 7 months and paid her bills.I was at the closing where I handed over $10,500 check for her purchase price of the share that gives her the right to live in her 2 story , 2 bdrm unit.
There were numerous papers to sign and a huge notebook of Guidelines and articles of management but no verbal cautions or mentioning of their buy into receiving police reports from all nearby suburbs...She also signed a no illegal activity sheet. HELP!
MY daughter was ticketed for DUI 500 ft. from her door and she has a lawyer defending her in court...She was issued a misdemeanor for less than 2 grms of "pot" in vehicle.
EVICTION was the response.She requested a hearing..They did not send her notice but while she attended the June meeting to acquaint herself with the process they chose to call her back to a closed session, heard her ,and stating that :.." they could fine her but it had not worked with others so
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
6/26/2010
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Hello and thank you for your question. what can I answer for you?

I need to know if I have any legal recourse against this action...Their website is mycedarwoodcooperative.com in Park Forest, IL 60466...When they take this unit in Eviction they will bill the $427 monthly against the sale of same and they will have full control to set the price and resell...they have 46 units for sale and several empty with no bargain prices..I have heard of other merciless actions and board members that left office because of thier collective heavy handed approach to any infractions...

Do I have a cause of action? How can I find out what gvmt agency they report to yearly in Wash., D.C.? Is there any way that I can protect my investment? I am trying to effect a quick ...even give away sale to just get out from under monthly payments for an empty place...They seem to be most harsh with people that they could help.

I am going to opt out and open this question to my colleagues.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX desparate for a direction and some legal advice..Most people that are victims of this action do not have the skills to 'push back'...they need a reality check,,,They can always move to evict if one chance does not effect change and adhereence to their rules.
no problem.

I do not understand your expert comment..."no problem..."

I do hope that this means that you are looking into my legal course of action regarding this flagrant 'jump' to eviction for a police report of DUI and misdemeanor without even ging one chance or a fine to allow my daughter to prove her worthiness to remain a viable member of her co-op that cost me over $10k...

The ramifications of a misdemeanor and DUI are already costly and punishment enough; she has learned to NEVER do this again and has attested to that fact in her unscheduled hearing wherein she was most apologetic and was willing to submit to drug tests or whatever... She just needs one chance..She cannot afford conventional rents...and will be thrown out on the street with this harsh action and my $10k will dissolve while they let the place sit idle waiting for their special buyer at a high price.

I need to know what legal action to take to curtail their heavy-handed approach to poor people that these co-ops are designed to help...Thanks!

I opened the question to my colleagues. if one can answer you will get notice.
Thank you and sorry I just keep getting email notices that you need more information to answer my question....
i dont need information. dont respond to me please as it may lock the question.