Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

what is consumer protection about

Customer Question
what is consumer protection about
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
6/24/2010
Consumer Protection Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Hi, thanks for your question.

Consumer protection laws (and lawyers, to some extent) exist to prevent unfair business practices with consumers, engaging in fraud, or committing unfair trade practices. They also help regulate the sale of consumer goods. For instance, the government regulates what information appears on medicines introduced and approved by the FDA, so consumers are aware of what the drugs do, the side effects, etc. A consumer protection lawyer can handle a variety of cases, for example, a dispute with a car dealership over a breach of their warranty or a lemon law case.

If you have additional questions, please click on REPLY (not "Re-list") and I will be happy to assist you further. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT BUTTON for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you-no payment for my time and effort is made until you click accept (even if you have a subscription or deposit). A BONUS TIP is also appreciated. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Remember that the correct answer is not necessarily always the one you may want to read, but it is important that I give you the most legally correct answer for your situation based on the facts you have provided, so please be courteous when deciding whether to accept an answer and when leaving feedback.

DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney.

This information is limited in scope and is confined to the question asked and should not be relied upon to provide a comprehensive picture of any particular situation and you are strongly encouraged to seek counsel for further course of action, if applicable. In other words, this response is not intended nor shall it be construed as providing you with all the information that your legal questions/issues may require. If you do require legal advice and retention/hiring of an attorney, I encourage you to consult an attorney who is actively engaged in the practice of law in the area of law relevant to your legal questions/issues and who is admitted to the bar or lawyer licensing agency in your jurisdiction(s) or the jurisdiction(s) that has jurisdiction over your legal questions/issues. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.
I think we may have a lemon vehicle, I wouldn't know where to start, any suggestions that u have to go off of? It's a 2007 KIA sportage lx 2wd silver with 44500 miles and still continues to have problems till this day
There are specific guidelines for what is considered a "lemon" vehicle. Click here and scroll down about half a page. It's from the Colorado Attorney General's Office, and discusses lemon law vehicles, and how to file a complaint.

That's a good starting point for you. =)