Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Problem with home improvement contractor

Customer Question
Hi There, We hired...
Hi There, We hired one contractor to finish the job of the other contractor who could not completed it. The current contractor knew the situation and we agreed that he will not be liable for any damage to the patio he is building in future. He said he will finish in 5-6 days. He did not started the date he promised and now it is around one month and not completed yet. Every day he is coming up with new issue and goes back and sends email. We told him we are at home you could just talk to us.   Now he sent us one certified mail stating that we are dishonest and untrue and did not told him that we did not have a permit. We already spoke to code enforcement inspector of our township and they told us that we did not need any permit. We called the inspector and showed the letter. The inspector said that the contractor is lying in the letter when he said " the inspector told we need the permit". The code inspector is mad and said he can write a letter that we did not need permit as it is paver patio. Now in the letter he said he will not come and will reinstate for the remaining money. The work is incomplete. We paid already 50% of the amount 2 weeks before he started. Now we don't want him to come ,we can finish it by ourselves but our problem is that we want to file a complaint so if we finish then how we can justify that he did not do it. We can take pictures.   In the letter he said the walls are settling down etc. But we have already signed a contract with him that he will not be liable for any issue if we have in future. We just wanted him to finish the work. Please advise what we should do. Our kids can not play outside all summers going waste. It is such a mental harassment. Thanks, NK
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
6/24/2010
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 8 years ago
You need to file a complaint with the contractor's licensing board against the contractor and also with the DA for theft by fraud since he took your money and did not perform any work. Generally these two things should get your money back from him and you can hire another contractor to handle your work, If these two options do not help, then your last recourse is to file suit in small claims court to recover the money.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”