Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I believe I am the victim of internet fraud. I paid a deposit…

Customer Question
I believe I am the...
I believe I am the victim of internet fraud. I paid a deposit on a rental, turns out it is not where I thought it was. I cannot get any response from the 'owner' of the apartment, and the person who received my paypal payment, claims no knowledge of the transaction. What recourse do I have?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
6/23/2010
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Hello and thank you for your question. how much are your damages and do you have name/address of person with the money?

$533.03

Names/addresses.. thats where it gets a bit fuzzy

I have the name on the paypal account where I sent the money. This person claims no knowlege at all of the transaction.

The person whose name is XXXXX XXXXX rental agreement as owner, has not replied to any email.

The rental agreement instructed me to pay through paypal, so I did.

I actually found the person whose paypal account received my money on FACEBOOK after typing in his email address! It wasnt until contacting him through facebook, that he replied.

You can sue in small claims court if local. You can complain to paypal customer service and see if their fraud protection will cover it.

I have already complained to paypal.

This person is in another state. To which state's small claims to I file a case?

Do I need to file a police report? Locally, or in his state? How do I find out contact details. I have so little to go on...

I need to know how to go about this.

You would file in the county where he is located and consider having a collections firm handle it on contingency fee basis.