Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I did an auto title loan 4 in 2006. Everything was paid off…

Customer Question
I did an auto title...
I did an auto title loan 4 in 2006. Everything was paid off in 2008. I have tried contacting (phone calls, certified letters) the lienholder for over a year now and they have not responded to my inquires about signing off on my title. I am listed as the leasee on the vehicle. How do i get my car back???
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/19/2010
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Hello and thank you for your question. can you become current?
As in my registration? That's part of what i'm trying to do. They were supposedly paying the registration and sending me tags but I found out in December it had not been done in several years. Now DMV is telling me that they can't even tell me what the total is that is due until I get a bond against the vehicle or get the lienholder to sign off.
and you are not able to comply with their requirements?
That depends on the cost of the registration and how much the bond is going to cost. The woman at the counter kept telling us we needed a vehicle bond but couldn't tell us where to go to get one. When we foudn out the tags weren't valid in December they told me to send a certified letter and wait 45 - 60 days for a response and then I could get the title back in my name. At that time, they never told us about needing a bond. We paid the non-op fees and parked it.
A bond is normally required. Aside from complying with their demand, I do not see a more efficient option.
Where do I get a bond? On one hand they tell me that because I am the leasee I am responsible for the vehicle and in the next breath, they tell me that because I am "just" the leasee I don't have any rights to information without obtaining a bond. How can it be both ways? Either it's my vehicle and i'm responsible or I'm not. What is the difference between a leasee and the vehicle owner?
I am going to refer you to a colleague who may be able to give you additional information on this issue.
Thank you.
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 8 years ago
The problem here is twofold. First, you are dealing with CA DMV, which is by far one of the most incompetent agencies anywhere. Second, if you have paid off the loan, your first action should be suit against the title loan company since once you paid off that loan they were obligated to give you a release AND if they were obligated to pay your registration and have not been doing so then they are liable to you under breach of contract. Thus, your first step is to demand the release from them in writing and if they do not provide it then you need to take the second step and sue them for the damages of breach of contract and for failing to provide the release of lien. As far as the bond, you would need to contact a local bond agency and discuss your options for a bond with them but this would be only if you cannot get results from suing the loan company or to get a release before you sue and if you have to put up the bond before you sue, you would add that cost to the amount of damages you are suing for in the breach of contract for them failing to pay the registration which they agreed to pay.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

They were located in San Diego and have since gone out of business, how do I sue them if I can't find them. I am now in Stanislaus County.

You would have to go through the State Attorney General's corporations office to locate the registered agent for service of process. If you cannot locate them through the Attorney General's Office, you would have to file suit and serve them through the attorney general and if they do not respond you would get an order from the court clearing the debt and the title.
Would this be through small claims court?
No, because all small claims can award is monetary damages, this would be through the superior court because an order removing the lien is required.