Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I had placed a complaint against a Towing Company with the…

Customer Question
I had placed a complaint...
I had placed a complaint against a Towing Company with the better BBB for the unautherized removal of my vehical from my place of buisness that was a securied parking area, permitted only, that belongs to the city. The towing co. was ordered to pick up a vehical from another place of buisness located next to this parking area. The Towing co. did not enter that place of buisness to verify the vehical to take and just assumed it was my vehical in mention. When I heard my vehical was removed I report a theft report. The BBB excepted my complaint and sent it to this Towing company. My vehical was not returned for over 6 hours since it had been taken to another city aproximatly 70 miles away. When returned the doors were unlocked and the hood had been left opened. The Towing co. did not follow their policies or procedures by compling to trucking laws for the hauling personal property. My vehical has not been the same, what can I do? All the Towing co did is call to apoligize!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
6/18/2010
Consumer Protection Lawyer: AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney replied 8 years ago
AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney

Dear jek,

You can file a civil suit in small claims court (so you don't need a lawyer) for damages resulting from the trespass to your vehicle, depriving you of its use a day, and any other damages you can show, be it repairs, etc. Make sure to document the repairs via photographs and expert mechanic who can provide the estimate or actuall bill after repairs. While anguish is likely not compensable (it often is not), the actual financial damages or loss of your property is.

This is what I would do, because I agree that a snappy little 'apology' is not sufficient.

Lawyers won't take it because the 000s in billing time will far outweigh, in all likelihood, the amount of compensable damages suffered, and I suspect you wouldn't be willing to pay the laywer $5k retainer over the principle of the matter - but you needn't, because small claims is perfect for this and they cater to pro se litigants.

I hope you get your justice.

Hope this helps to clarify. If it does, please click ACCEPT and follow up if needed after you do so. If you need more detail, please click Reply, not ReList and I will gladly respond. Also, if you exceeded the one question one answer standard, and the expert provided you with answers to your additional questions, BONUS is an appreciated way of saying thank you! This expert's credit proceeds go towards providing volunteer provisions for the disabled. Thank you for helping!

I believe I have answered your question and I hope you a better understanding of your legal issue as a result. As you know, I am only the messenger, not your attorney, nor can I create favorable law if it doesn't exist, so please don't hold it against me if the legal result is not what you wish. ACCEPTING the Answer a so ensures I will be able to assist your with your future legal question. In addition, Positive "FEEDBACK" and BONUSES are also appreciated. If you would like my assistance in the future, just put my name, STEPHANIE JOY, in your title or first sentence of a new post. Please keep in mind that I can only respond to your post and the information contained in it, as I do not know what you know unless you describe it fully. Also, due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so I apologize in advance if it means more interactions between us. At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break, or if it is late at night, I may have to go get some shut eye til morning, but rest assured, I'll be back for you. Thanks

Sincerely,

S. Joy, Legal Expert

My Standard and Required Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me here is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice and you agree that the nominal price you may voluntarily pay for information here clearly does not pay for any legal advice. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship with you. You must hire an attorney in your state as a matter of law, in order to receive legal advice and attorney/client relationship and rights. I do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided or whose law would apply, if any. My licensing credentials are noted in my profile, which you have full access to. As law is always changing, you are recommended to consult with the appropriate legal counsel in your jurisdiction for accurate and complete information. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a great day.

Relist: Answer quality.
Relist: Answer quality.
You dont have enough characters to submit the actions that took place in the act of events of what transpired during this event, such as how many businesses ect. were effected. lost wages ect. This was a hugh company that didnt comply to the law. If the BBB excepted the complaint, you would know this was an unacceptable business judgement.

DearCustomer

You relisted for "answer quality", contrary to my suggestion that you seek follow up if something is unclear. Your only question in your post, that shows up on my screen, is :

" My vehical has not been the same, what can I do?"

I told you what legal remedy is available to you. The BBB can be helpful, but in case you were not aware, it is not a legal remedy, but a communications remedy - to inform the other party, publicly, of your grievance. I think the BBB can be quite helpful, particularly if the parties are both ethical, and it ends up being an honest miscommunication or if the other party was a little underhanded, but will never acknowledge same, wishes to make good, to avoid the embarrassment of the allegation if same appears to be substantiated

However, make no mistake, that is not a legal remedy, simply a common sense opportunity to communicate to resolution.

Because I agree (where did you read differently???) that an unlawful towing is compensable, I indicated to you that YES, YOU HAVE A VALID SUIT, in my opinion, and, better yet, one that you can likely pursue without attorneys fees.

If I am missing your question, please clarify before relisting, as I am more than happy to provide more time and effort to clarify any confusion. Thank you.

One more thing worth mentioning - BBB accepting a complaint is NOT reflective of a decision on BBB's part that it finds your complaint to be valid - if you read the terms of service there, you will see that to be true. BBB provides a forum in which to discuss a disagreement with the hopes the 2 parties can resolve. Moreover, BBB will not create an enforceable judgment, you must use the legal court system for that, as I described above.