Teacher Editor
Teacher Editor, Teacher
Experience:  Instructor
19568076

I thought there were new laws put on creditcard companies about

Customer Question

I thought there were new laws put on creditcard companies about reducing your line of credit when you make large payments to get it under the 50% mark to work on improving your credit score. Also when you make larger payments to cover the cash advance .
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Teacher Editor replied 8 years ago.

These aren't exactly new laws. What happened was that credit card companies got a lot of money from the government and they promised to help struggling payers by possibly reducing their debt up to 50% in certain situations. In order to do this, you just need to call the credit card company and try to negotiate a lower amount with them if you feel that you are struggling to make payments. You can try to do this yourself or hire a negotiation company but I would suggest to try doing this yourself. They may want to go through a budget wtih you but most of the time, they will try to work with you because they know that your other option is bankruptcy and they will get nothing. Sometimes, however, some credit card companies will not work as well but it is always worth a try.

If it is a secured debt, this will probably not work as they have property they could possibly liquidate if you don't pay (just in case the line of credit is attached to a house).