Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Spent $122 dollars to replace a small diamond and add some…

Customer Question
Spent $122 dollars to replace...
Spent $122 dollars to replace a small diamond and add some pins to an antique wedding ring - when we got it back, it was really sloppy work. Took the ring to another jewler that told us that the guys had basically burned all the diamonds, used the wrong materials, and ruined the ring. I'm going to the jeweler tonight and asking for a full refund plus the cost of rebuilding the ring ($1700) - the other jeweler told us a reputable repair place would offter to rebuild at no cost to us, but we don't want to have the guy that ruined the ring in the first place be the one who rebuilds the ring. What is my course of action? File a complaint with the BBB and then small claims court? etc.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/16/2010
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 8 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Essentially, yes. You need to threaten litigation, or actually sue. Let me explain.
Lawsuits are made up of causes of action, in other words, to file suit, you need a cause of action (at least one).

You can file multiple causes of action together. All causes of action have different elements you have to satisfy. For example, “negligence” is proven if there is (1) a duty owned to Plaintiff and (2) the Defendant breached that duty.

It takes too long to explain all elements of each cause of action, but from my knowledge, you have a lawsuit for the following causes of action: negligence and breach of contract.

Some elements of the causes of action different by state due to different evolution of local law, but they are generally nearly identical.

In the end, the small claims court Judge decides whether or not the elements for each of the causes of action were satisfied, and if so, what damages are needed to rectify the situation. Note that if you win, you may also get your legal fees and attorney fees tagged unto the award.

Know, however, that 85% of such cases are resolved with a stern demand letter from your attorney and perhaps a draft petition included with it. That usually scared them to make a deal to avoid litigation. When you hire an attorney, try to hire them on a contingency basis, i.e. they don't get paid unless you do (usually about 33%, or 40% if reward is from trial). I can help you find an attorney in your area who specializes in these kinds of matters if you'd like.

Best of luck in your matter! I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up info. I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button for my answer. This is the only way for me to be paid for my work. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if and I would be happy to answer any and all of the follow up questions.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to being the question with “This Question is for Eli…”