Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

a collection company entered information on my credit reports…

Customer Question
a collection company entered information...
a collection company entered information on my credit reports saying I was responsible for a non proven debt, and this has caused my credit scores to go from very good to marginal, and they refuse to correct this bad information
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/16/2010
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I have read your comments above. What is your legal question so I can assist?

.

Have you requested that the collection agency validate the debt?

.

.

Thanks

.

If I have answered your question, PLEASE CLICK THE GREEN "ACCEPT" BUTTON NOW, so that I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are optional, and are greatly appreciated. If you need additional clarification on this question, just click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details.

Yes, I asked them to validate the the debt, but all they sent me was a form showing me that the car impound co. sold my car.

I specifically told them::

1)I never entered into a contract with the impound yard, therefore they were unable to provide any service for me and expect to be paid.

2)I never received ANY notification from the impound yard that I owe them money

3)I never received any notification from the impound yard that my vehicle was there, even thugh they are required by law to notify me of that fact by registered mail.

4)I have never received any communication from the impound yard,

5)The collection agency never provided me with any documentation showing me they were contracted to be the collection agency for the impound yard.

and, because of this, I would consider any furthur collection activities on their part as extorsion!(including reporting to credit agencies)

What specific charges can I bring against them (sue) for damages to my credit ???

Consumer Protection Lawyer: Steinlaw, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Steinlaw
Steinlaw, Lawyer
I am sorry you are going through this.

You need to send a letter to the credit reporting agencies disputing the debt with them. Explain why this is not your debt and that you are asking for it to be removed. They will contact the collection agency who will have to verify it to the CRA. If they cannot, it will be removed. If they do or if it is not removed, contact an attorney who handles FCRA cases and get a consultation.

Good luck.